Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has used quality spacers like H&R with their stock 18" AMG 16-spoke wheels and which size(s) they went with. I want to keep the factory wheel look but just improve the stance a little bit.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I bought H&R 10mm spacers for front & rear & new wheel bolts all round to match.
I spent some time deciding due to the cost. I was however disappointed & sold the lot recently on EBay.
Wish I could remember exactly what it was I didn't like. I think it was that it looked like I had stuck wheel spacers on, which is exactly what I didn't want it to look like.
There has also been a lot said about extra strain on wheel bearings & torque on wheel studs so in the end I changed wheels though I do like the originals a lot. I have the later anthracite finish. They would be great in 19 inch.

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
I have 10mm H&Rs on the front with the stock twin-spokes. Improves the stance a lot on a lowered car on which the front wheels look too 'tucked in' without them.

You have to get longer lug bolts to fit these. I got Expression bolts. Been driving around on this combo for years now with no issues at all.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought H&R 10mm spacers for front & rear & new wheel bolts all round to match.
I spent some time deciding due to the cost. I was however disappointed & sold the lot recently on EBay.
Wish I could remember exactly what it was I didn't like. I think it was that it looked like I had stuck wheel spacers on, which is exactly what I didn't want it to look like.
There has also been a lot said about extra strain on wheel bearings & torque on wheel studs so in the end I changed wheels though I do like the originals a lot. I have the later anthracite finish. They would be great in 19 inch.
No pictures of when you had them installed? Also not really sure what look you were trying to achieve and what look you ended up with. Did you have any rubbing issues, especially with 10mm in the rear?

I have 10mm H&Rs on the front with the stock twin-spokes. Improves the stance a lot on a lowered car on which the front wheels look too 'tucked in' without them.

You have to get longer lug bolts to fit these. I got Expression bolts. Been driving around on this combo for years now with no issues at all.
Is the handling affected if I add spacers to only the front? I did notice the front is more tucked in than the rear but I was thinking of adding same-size spacers for the front and rear and get all matching lug bolts.

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
Is the handling affected if I add spacers to only the front? I did notice the front is more tucked in than the rear but I was thinking of adding same-size spacers for the front and rear and get all matching lug bolts.
Handling is fine with spacers on just the front.

With 10mm on the front the wheels are still tucked in more than the rears are without spacers. With 10mm on the rears the wheels actually come out beyond the fender. I recently found this out by accident, when the shop that powdered my wheels put the spacers back on the wrong axle :D.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Handling is fine with spacers on just the front.

With 10mm on the front the wheels are still tucked in more than the rears are without spacers. With 10mm on the rears the wheels actually come out beyond the fender. I recently found this out by accident, when the shop that powdered my wheels put the spacers back on the wrong axle :D.
Thanks, Durkatlon. Would you say at 15mm for the front is safe and the maximum that I should go and perhaps 5mm for the rear?

The stock lug bolts (12mm x 1.5 thread pitch/39mm shank/R12 ball seat) are the same between 350s and 55s right? I'm just trying to make sure there are available lug bolt sizes to accommodate my spacers plan. I guess I'm looking at 50mm or 55mm for the front and 45mm for the rear?

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
15mm+5mm should be fine. Not sure if you need to replace the lugs for the rears if you are just doing 5mm. I would think bolts are available from the usual places for all sizes. I admit I didn't look into this much at the time because I had all this done by a shop (the spacers were part of the lowering "plan" at the time :D), so they picked the new lugs. It is good to get high-strength lugs. Mine are 10.9 strength rated.

·
fastdawg
4,427 Posts
I went with 10mm provided by the company I bought the wheels and tires from. I think I might try 5mm ones as I don't think the 10's are necessary. I didn't want to use them in first place but I love the new wheels. After I sort that out, I'll consider lowering, although I'm not really in a rush to do that.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went with 10mm provided by the company I bought the wheels and tires from. I think I might try 5mm ones as I don't think the 10's are necessary. I didn't want to use them in first place but I love the new wheels. After I sort that out, I'll consider lowering, although I'm not really in a rush to do that.
It could really use some lowering though, especially on the back. I like the wheels!
Is the rear spring pad modification pretty much a SLK55 modification? I don't think it would help much on the SLK350. If there aren't any rubbing issues with the 10mm, you might as well keep them on and call it a day until you're ready to lower the car. 5mm or 10mm spacer, there's still going to be that large gap between the fender and tire...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts