Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try a TCU tune, like Eurocharged offers?

I'm in no hurry to mod my recently-acquired SLK32, but would consider ECU/TCU tunes and a pulley kit - these seem to be the best bang for the buck.

That said, Eurocharged bundles the three together, but the product description doesn't elaborate too much on what the TCU tune does:

- Modification of Torque Management Settings
- Full "M" manual mode and "S" summer mode.
- Reduced Slippage
- Faster Shifting
- Raised RPM Limiter
- Gears hold when in manual mode
- Raised Torque Limiters

Anyone get this TCU tune who can comment?

How can TCU tune reduce slippage? Slippage of what? Tire slippage? Does it mess with Traction Control?

In manual mode, will it hold a higher gear to the point it will bog like a MT when at slow speeds (is that even possible with an AT?) or just hold a gear longer than it might otherwise?

With respect to M and S modes, there's only a toggle for S and W modes (and my understanding is the only difference is that W starts you in second gear, just like my W210). How does one switch between M and S and W, or does M replace W? And is Summer mode left alone?

Raising the RPM limiter - I'd assume that's an ECU not a TCU tune? Or does this just change the shift points closer to redline when less that WOT?

What does "Raised Torque Limiters" mean?

I'm hoping one of the Eurocharged guys will chime in (and I may send them an email separately if they don't), but I'd also like to know what the real-world, daily-drive, seat-of-the-pants effect of this TCU tune is like ...

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm in no hurry to mod my recently-acquired SLK32, but would consider ECU/TCU tunes and a pulley kit - these seem to be the best bang for the buck.

That said, Eurocharged bundles the three together, but the product description doesn't elaborate too much on what the TCU tune does:

- Modification of Torque Management Settings
- Full "M" manual mode and "S" summer mode.
- Reduced Slippage
- Faster Shifting
- Raised RPM Limiter
- Gears hold when in manual mode
- Raised Torque Limiters

Anyone get this TCU tune who can comment?

How can TCU tune reduce slippage? Slippage of what? Tire slippage? Does it mess with Traction Control?

In manual mode, will it hold a higher gear to the point it will bog like a MT when at slow speeds (is that even possible with an AT?) or just hold a gear longer than it might otherwise?

With respect to M and S modes, there's only a toggle for S and W modes (and my understanding is the only difference is that W starts you in second gear, just like my W210). How does one switch between M and S and W, or does M replace W? And is Summer mode left alone?

Raising the RPM limiter - I'd assume that's an ECU not a TCU tune? Or does this just change the shift points closer to redline when less that WOT?

What does "Raised Torque Limiters" mean?

I'm hoping one of the Eurocharged guys will chime in (and I may send them an email separately if they don't), but I'd also like to know what the real-world, daily-drive, seat-of-the-pants effect of this TCU tune is like ...

Cheers,

Mark
When they are talking about slipping, they are referring to your torque converter, not your tires. And they install the tune where your "W" or winter setting is currently. So, you lose the winter mode. Don't know if 2nd gear starts and less aggressive shifts are important to you in your climate but something to think about. Summer mode is indeed left alone.

In manual mode it will hold a gear to the point of bumping off the rev limiter. I believe the only intervention from the logic is to downshift to 1st gear if you're approaching a full stop.

The RPM limiter is indeed part of the ECU tune. I asked them why bother when they did my tune as the engine is pretty much done before 6,000 rpm. Their reply was that it can help customers who are also modifying intake and exhaust for better breathing.

As for pulleys, Eurocharged sells both crank pulleys and supercharger pulleys. The supercharger pulley is attractive because it's a 20 minute install and unlike the crank pulley it wont over drive your accessory pulleys. But, people have had a lot of trouble shimming supercharger pulleys and belts self-destructing. If you go the pulley route and get aggressive, you may have to think about a new fuel pump and injectors to keep the AFR from leaning out to much.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts