Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this the other day. Apparently the SLK32 folks have had this option for awhile now but I'm starting to see the C55 and E55 guys with the M113 V8 version. SLK32s are seeing huge gains from this intake, and at $850, it's much cheaper than the Renntech option (which is just an enlarged stock design.)

This is on a C55:

NeedsWings website:
http://needswings.com/NeedsWings-SLK55-Dual-Cold-Air-Intake-Slk55dcai.aspx

Gains on an SLK32 (I haven't been able to find gains on a '55 motor yet, but everyone praises it saying the difference is definitely there.)
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1518778-r170-amg-needswings-dyno.html

He gained 26whp and 18wtq with just a single intake!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I buy it might help on the supercharged engines, but I simply don't see how on the NA M113s that it does anything. The smallest diameter pipe is still the intake manifold?

I'd love to be proven wrong and see a dyno that showed a gain - you could do this yourself for the cost of two high flow barrel filters and some piping...

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, it is definitely possible to DIY, but I haven't seen anyone do it. C55 guys claim definitely noticeable gains, but I haven't found anyone who dyno'd before and after yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow

That looks crazy, what kind of HP gain to we expect for the SLK 55. I think i will order one if it's a good bang for buck!

Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just came from a SLK32. Something like the Needswings CAI can make a difference with forced induction. When I had the Eurocharged tune done on my car I asked them why bump up the rev limiter because the power and torque curve indicated that the factory engine was pretty much done by about 5,800 rpm. Their reply was that if you're gonna improve the breathing with a CAI and maybe intake manifolds, the additional rpm can produce more power.

Most people with an SLK32 / Crossfire SRT6 are combining the Needswing CAI with a Eurocharged or other tune plus an engine pulley or supercharger pulley change for more boost. That combination of more boost and more air flow can indeed produce dramatic gains. Somehow I just don't see the same dramatic opportunity with our normally aspirated V8's absent any other changes. I think Eurocharged is touting something like 20 hp and 35 lb ft with their tune for the SLK55. A pulley, tune, and CAI on an SLK32 can take it from 330 hp to 407 and from 310 lb ft to 389.

And with the SLK32, too much pulley and too much air flow starts to drive them into changing fuel pumps and possibly injectors to keep AFR within a safe range and prevent lean burn and engine damage.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
For NA engines, i would think having the larger air volume in the airbox is better. Don't our airfilters have larger surface area than those barrel/cone filters anyway?

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,425 Posts
The standard 350 SLK has fairly good CAI. I monitor my intake temperature, and it stays cool.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What were the numbers and what all did you do to your exhaust? Also which dyno?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am interested in building my own intake like this. Which can be done for less than $400. Only part I am stuck on is the silicone Y coupler...Cant find any place that sells that. I think the SL55/E55 oem Y pipe will work and should attach to the SLK55 maf housing.

The gains on this intake would be if the filters flow better than oem and if the Y pipe is better than our stock one.

The needswings intake replaces the 90 intake bend at throttle body and the maf tub with one pipe that has a hole for the maf sensor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts