Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 with 5 spd manual trans and from what I can tell the clutch pack is reaching the end of its life. The clutch does not seem to be engaging until the very end of the clutch pedal travel and it could be my imagination but I also thought it was slipping under hard acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gears.

Does my diagnosis sound correct? Could it be something simpler like the hydraulic clutch cylinder? Does anybody here have any experience working on the clutch assembly themselves? Can you point me to any posts or info regarding the clutch replacement? I searched the posts and could not find any info on this particular repair issue. I'm pretty mechanically proficient but don't want to bite off more than I can chew if the replacement requires specialized tools and should really be done by the dealer or a MB repair shop. I just hate to pay somebody else to do what I can do myself with a little hard work and patience... Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a '99 with 5 spd manual trans and from what I can tell the clutch pack is reaching the end of its life. The clutch does not seem to be engaging until the very end of the clutch pedal travel and it could be my imagination but I also thought it was slipping under hard acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gears.

Does my diagnosis sound correct? Could it be something simpler like the hydraulic clutch cylinder? Does anybody here have any experience working on the clutch assembly themselves? Can you point me to any posts or info regarding the clutch replacement? I searched the posts and could not find any info on this particular repair issue. I'm pretty mechanically proficient but don't want to bite off more than I can chew if the replacement requires specialized tools and should really be done by the dealer or a MB repair shop. I just hate to pay somebody else to do what I can do myself with a little hard work and patience... Any advice is appreciated!
The slipping certainly does, but the clutch pedal travel suggests it may be something such as low/contaminated clutch fluid or air in the lines. It may be the clutch master cylinder.

How many miles are on the car? I'd first do what I call the "clutch test". From a stop, put it in third gear. Let out the clutch. if it stalls, your clutch is solid. If it doesnt stall, your clutch is on the brink!

Then if it "passes", Check fluid, bleed clutch.

To test the clutch master cylinder, remove the fcap and seal from the clutch reservoir. Activate the clutch pedal. If the fluid level goes up and down, replace the clutch master cylinder.

If it doesnt, and you already bled the clutch, replace the clutch.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,268 Posts
Kevin

This thread is 6 years old

Who are you asking?

They might never have returned

You need to update your profile
Model n year
N location
N post an introduction if you haven’t

First please update your location and vehicle (Put Looking!)(year?: 1996-2018, model?: 32, 43, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300, 320, 350, 55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.

Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section. Click this: http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

On a smartphone: http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/330737-how-update-your-profile-post-intro-smartphone.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.