Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I race autocross, and these are fun cars. I race Fieros and Camaros. I know the SLKs have a lot more body roll than other cars in the same class as they are supposed to be luxury not just performance.

Can these things compete, and if so, what do you need to do to make them competitive?

I might just go run it for fun a few times, but I thought I'd see if anyone else runs them and what kind of things they do to make them competitive.

I know they aren't as "good" as other cars, but its the only 2 seater roadster my 6'9" 280 LB self can drive comfortably!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,379 Posts
we have members taller than you!

·
Registered
659 Posts
The AMG is pretty competitive if you get some good tires, ie: Toyo RA-1 or R888. It's not going to keep up with the awd STi, but it will out perform the camaro. The AMG is in the class of the C5 & C6 corvette.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback! So it looks like the AMGs can compete but no-word on the non SLKs? (which compete in CS with the miatas which makes it a tough matchup I know)

we have members taller than you!

Pretty rare for a 2 seater, so thats great. I wonder if its the same story for the newer SLKs. Anyone know? I'd test drive one but I dont want to convince myself to buy that expensive of a car that I'm only going to drive 10 times a year!

The AMG is pretty competitive if you get some good tires, ie: Toyo RA-1 or R888. It's not going to keep up with the awd STi, but it will out perform the camaro. The AMG is in the class of the C5 & C6 corvette.

Finding the AMGs is near impossible though. I've had a heck of a time finding just an SLK 320. If I find one though I may have to consider it, although costing more than a C5 vette, will it match? (side note, in all the autocrossing I've seen, including the SCCA, the C6 is SS and the C5 is AS, and the AMG is also AS with the C5 but not the C6?), The camaros are in FS so don't even compete with the 2 seater roadster, so its hard to say it will out perform the camaro when you consider indexes.

Among the folks on this forum, Racercub68 is probably the most serious about racing his SLK. His is a 350 with manual trans.
Good to know. I'll track him down. If the SLKs can compete, I may look for an AMG to play with. They seem to be more fun than the Fieros, although theres something nice about sheer rear end power and non-balance of a camaro.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.