Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a few parts to tidy up the 320. Fog light, fender liner, trunk lid brake light, and a new driver's side seat back cover. Since the seat cover was definitely not cheap I thought I might ask for a little advice/guidance before diving into that job. No joy in a search of the DIY section.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,474 Posts
Thank you for volunteering!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw that. I wish he had gone into more detail about how to remove the headrest fittings. Is there a source for a repair manual somewhere that might show the procedure?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update. I got it done with the help of my SOL. It wasn't quite as easy as Bazzle's swap. It appears that he swapped the foam padding with the covers. Getting the old cover loose and the new one attached to the foam was quite an experience.

I'm working on a diy thread but I probably didn't take enough pics of certain parts of the process. I'll get it posted up later.

·
Founding Member 2002 SLK200K
22 Posts
Just an update. I got it done with the help of my SOL. It wasn't quite as easy as Bazzle's swap. It appears that he swapped the foam padding with the covers. Getting the old cover loose and the new one attached to the foam was quite an experience.

I'm working on a diy thread but I probably didn't take enough pics of certain parts of the process. I'll get it posted up later.
Hey MrG,

I'm also refurbishing my old SLK and have purchased new seat covers which includes new foam. Can you share specifics on removal of the headrest sockets/fittings?

Thanks,
Keith

·
Founding Member 2002 SLK200K
22 Posts
Hey MrG,

I'm also refurbishing my old SLK and have purchased new seat covers which includes new foam. Can you share specifics on removal of the headrest sockets/fittings?

Thanks,
Keith
Ok, I figured it out:

First let's get our "bearings": At the top of the headrest "socket" is the horizontal spring-loaded "edge" that snaps into the guides of the headrest shaft which set the height adjustment.

Look down into the "socket" on the opposite side of that "edge". About one inch down you will see a small hole.

Stick a small screwdriver (or other small shaft that can fit) into it just about a 1/4" in.

While pivoting the handle of the screwdriver (about the top of the "socket") in the direction of the hole, thereby prying the hole into the center of the "socket" (this actually pulls a horizontal stop inwards), pull the "socket" upwards and out.

I hope the following description helps someone else...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good explanation. I found that an icepick worked well. That hole is not very big.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any luck changing the seat cover? I have some seams coming apart and think I can make the repair. I have researched removing the headrest mounts and need to know if there are any tips on separating the seat cover from the foam backing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.