Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I would like to buy a x pipe but would love to listen to one before I take the plunge.
I'm based in Brighton and was wondering if anyone around have installed a x pipe to their SLK 55??

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Sorry I'm over in Weston Super Mare, but I took the plunge after hearing some on you tube. Sounds fantastic, not too loud, go on do it :)

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Hi Aaen3000

I have had an Xpipe fitted for about 18 months now & its one of the best mods for this car , You will hear the difference on start up & when you rev the engine , The extra noise starts about 1800 2000 revs a very nice deep note , On tic over its hard to hear the difference from standard & just driving normally it just like standard , But when you hit the go pedal & go thro' the gears that's why you have the mod & with the roof down OMG & then you find a tunnel & OMFG ( in sports mode), Below is a link to our car with the xpipe .

http://youtu.be/yvsHLtMyDf8

Cheers

Andy

P.S just do it mate

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Sounds good without being intrusive, no drone. Obviously more pronounced with roof down, but still great, not too much.

·
Registered
199 Posts
mate i'm located in melb, and specificially found an magnaflow distributor which stocked one, got it installed and my GOD its the best mod i've done. Performance wise i feel its much more responsive but prob its just a placebo effect, but the sound, when taking off and in lower gears it sounds more like a C63, not annoying or intrusive when driven normally but when u go past 1800-2000 rpms it sounds great. Honestly i was hesistant about it mate, just do it. Our slk55's do sound a bit soft from the factory compared to the other AMG's but the Xpipe definately makes up for it.

Just DO [email protected]@@@!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.
Just ordered a Magnaflow 10791 x pipe.
Looking forward to getting it installed and firing the engine up!

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Hi aaen300

The only downside of getting the Xpipe fitted is all your mates who are into cars will hate you from now on , As your SLK will sound SOOOOooooo good they will not be able to stand it , But its just a cross your have to bare . But also remember its not your fault they picked the wrong car :biglaugh: .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
25 Posts
mate i'm located in melb, and specificially found an magnaflow distributor which stocked one, got it installed and my GOD its the best mod i've done. Performance wise i feel its much more responsive but prob its just a placebo effect, but the sound, when taking off and in lower gears it sounds more like a C63, not annoying or intrusive when driven normally but when u go past 1800-2000 rpms it sounds great. Honestly i was hesistant about it mate, just do it. Our slk55's do sound a bit soft from the factory compared to the other AMG's but the Xpipe definately makes up for it.

Just DO [email protected]@@@!!!!!
Totally agree.. I am also based in Melbourne and had an X-pipe (magnaflow from YellaTerra) and also Kleemann cats... car sounds insane x 100

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
My old 320 had the secondaries removed ( before I bought it ) and it sailed through MOT emissions. Can't say what the 55 would do though.

Not sure about this whole X-pipe thing. I am driving my 55 a lot at the moment and if it was any louder I think it might become intrusive on longer journeys. It's already a continuous 'presence'.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not due till month end but I'll try to get it done sooner, just had a major service at my local dealer and they never made any negative comment. They did moan cause I have K&N filters fitted they wanted to remove and put there crappy ones in I told them to do one.

·
Banned
992 Posts
Not due till month end but I'll try to get it done sooner, just had a major service at my local dealer and they never made any negative comment. They did moan cause I have K&N filters fitted they wanted to remove and put there crappy ones in I told them to do one.
Come to the Brooklands/MBWorld meet on Dec 7th - then we can all listen - and gloat.:tu:

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Hi All

I have had an Xpipe fitted for about 18 months now , no problem with MOT(Maindealer) , I have been told you can get thro' the MOT with one set of CATs removed + an Xpipe ( too loud for my taste ) , On the noise level with an Xpipe you only heard the difference when hit the go pedal ,when you are driving at a constant speed you can not heard the difference from a non Xpipe set up & with the roof up there is little extra noise . The Xpipe comes into its own with the roof down & on 'A' roads , tunnels & around towns .
I did hear that there is a new ruling with CATS & MOTs ,it was something like ,You will require the same number of CATs fitted on the car as when the car left the factory ,Not sure if or when this will be part of the MOT ???

Cheers

Andy

1 - 20 of 61 Posts