Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not yet picked up my '99 so I cannot verify that it has no rear sway bar. From what I've read, the rear sway bar didn't come along until the 2000 model year.

Has anyone ever retrofitted a rear sway bar? If so, what did it involve in the way of brackets and fittings?

Thanks for your help.
Doc

·
Registered
20 Posts
Would it be easier to swap a 2000 and up rear sway bar? I have a 99 and am climbing under it tonight to see about the sway bar issue. A rear sway is a huge improvement if there is none. Theres also aftermarket options for the 00-03 rear and front. I plan to Auto-x so this would be a great improvement.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have learned over the years, that on almost ALL production cars, if you are going to make only ONE handling modification, adding or stiffening the rear sway bar is the one to make. It takes out some of the ever present understeer.

I still haven't taken delivery of my car, but from what I've read, I fully expect that it will have no rear sway bar. I will get one in one way or the other. From what I've been able to determine there are studs for the upper bar mounts. Hopefully a bolt can be inserted from the top and tacked in place. Failing that I will remove the rear suspension as attached to the subframe and weld or other wise fix up the upper mount.

All the pictures I can receive underneath an R170 with a rear sway bar mounted, will be helpful.

I'll know more once I got my new baby home and on the lift.

BTW, I fully expect the 00-03 rear bar to be the correct shape and configuration for the earlier R170 cars.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I haven't gotten enough information to feel comfortable dropping the rear suspension to put a bar in place. I'm sure that a 2001 bar would work, but the variable is exactly where to place the body mounts. If I knew exactly where to locate them, I would buy a bar and all the pieces, drop the rear suspension and MIG the body brackets in place.

A non car guy neighbor told me that he found an article on the internet that showed exactly how to do it. I have been unable to find it, and he has not answered my requests to forward a link. He is kind of full of it, so I don't think he really found anything useful. He might have found something that he thought was useful.

Sorry for the lack of information. I sure would like to add a rear bar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If anyone has a parts diagram of the facelift vs rear facelift it would help. Im guessing they didnt change the rear subframe design other than just adding a sway bar. Id say there are two options

1 - find wrecked facelift SLK
- pull rear subframe
- rear sway bar
- rear control arms where sway bar connects
- any other misc. parts like links and hardware

2 - weld mounts up for one
This is going to require measurements and great welding skills.

Option 1 shouldnt be that hard if you can get a good donor car or even just a subframe with the mounting provisions. In theory the frame should bolt right up. Facelifts are more cosmetic upgrades than huge chassis modifications.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If anyone has a parts diagram of the facelift vs rear facelift it would help. Im guessing they didnt change the rear subframe design other than just adding a sway bar. Id say there are two options

1 - find wrecked facelift SLK
- pull rear subframe
- rear sway bar
- rear control arms where sway bar connects
- any other misc. parts like links and hardware

2 - weld mounts up for one
This is going to require measurements and great welding skills.

Option 1 shouldnt be that hard if you can get a good donor car or even just a subframe with the mounting provisions. In theory the frame should bolt right up. Facelifts are more cosmetic upgrades than huge chassis modifications.
It requires, the subframe, the control arm and the rear control arm bits. Easiest way is to find a donor or wrecked parts car.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,451 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts