Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems odd to own an open air car and look forward to the dreary cold days of winter (so I'm told when I complain about the sun) but I truly hate the nice weather.

I live an work in a resort area that becomes everything I left New York for ten years ago from May 'till October when the weather is warm and the sun is out. The bar is full of tourists, the roads are filled with traffic, I can't do normal things like grocery shop, go to the bank or park at the beach without a hassle... and why? Because the sun is out. Today my normally 20 minute ride home from work took an hour, in my police car. Why? Because the sun is out. I'll have to pay more for gas from Thursday 'till Monday because the sun is out.
I disagree with the sun so much, I started taking vacations to get away from it... Reykjavik in December, Manchester in November, Berlin in January (not all this year) but you see my point, not much sun in those places that time of year. People think I'm nutty. The good news is the sun's presence is growing shorter with every day that passes (at least 'till December).

Bring on the overcast, cold, damp, foggy days of the winter. I have heated seats and Airscarf. Anyone else agree?

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Hi rbj190e, I must be the polar opposite (no pun intended). Being from SoCal originally, however, spending a great deal of my childhood in Oregon and several years of my military career in cold places I love the sun. I always joke that my bald spot is not actually bald but a solar panel to keep my batteries charged. I can appreciate the crowded tourist thing which is why I chose to stay in Southern Arizona upon my retirement from the Army (small town with big town close enough for the conveniences (1 hour away) without the headaches. Our winter months get a bit hectic around here with blue hairs down for the annual warm weather invasion. lolhttp://www.slkworld.com/members/rjb190e.html

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
I also live in a beach area that is now filling up with the summer vacation people. You learn also no grocery shopping on week end as the new arrivals fill the store up buying their week supplies of beer and party foods. If it is raining do not go to the movies or the mall as not beach wether they fill up these places also when it rains. You are right on the gas buy it mid week. Everyone need to fill up when they get here or before the leave on Saturday or Sunday so the price is up those days. Go to the beach in the morning before noon as the tourist fill the beach in the heat of the day, as they are sleeping off last night party.

But still like it better than living where you got to shovel snow and wear heavy over coats. Do not want to go back there.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)I don't live in a glamorous place, but we have mild winters and plenty of sun. No reason for tourist to migrate here other than passing through. The beach is 1.5 hours away and I could care less. I no longer do tourist things or crowds. No anxiety of any kind that I know of. Just doing my thing.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Raining today and 14C (under 60) Put insurance on the SLK and motorcycle in May and it has been sunny 1 day so decided on the bike, The other day I said the hell with it and put the top down during a light sprinkle. GF hates the sun and had a CLK for 5 years without putting the top down. She covers toes to hair on the bike and in the car. Did I mention my other hobby is sailing? She won't go. They don't call this the "wet" coast for nuthin'.

G.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Ha -- not quite in agreement with you yet, but left the house at 11 this morning, 91 degrees F, for the grandkids birthday party an hour away (top down), outside party, then another hour (top down) to two soccer matches, when the sun went down I was quite happy, and I'm sure I'll be sunburned tomorrow.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Sorry, move to England. From November to March, it's dark, rainy, and cold. From April to October, it's cool, wet, and every once in a while sunny. I much prefer sun! ;-)

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Rek in Dec?!? Spent far too much time in Iceland tyvm!

Love the sun, but after about 28C/82F it does register as warm. It's the humidity! That and the little bald spot I'm developing...

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,785 Posts
In Florida it's raining and will continue to rain for the next 2 to 3 days.

Roads and yards will flood, small branches will fall out of trees, and umbrellas are useless.

We try not to drive because the roads are slick and it's raining so hard the wipers don't work.

The only good that comes out of this gloomy weather is to stay inside and detail the SLK!

Where are you sun, I miss you!

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Sun What is Sun. We might get summer on Thursday with 26 c !!!! Then friday its high winds and rain again. Like John said above ^^^ " every once in a while " Bit like a blue moon

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,734 Posts
don't hate it but right now, Florida is NOT the sunshine state

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
I fall in the "too much of a good thing" crowd. By that I mean I love the sun most of the year. In the winter sunshine will extend my "Top Down" criteria to 40F. In spring and fall it's just wonderful. It starts to wear on me in the summer. In SE Tennessee we call August the 98/98 season - 98 degrees F and 98% humidity. No amount of airflow will make a top down drive in full sun enjoyable. Endurable, yes, but not enjoyable.

Given a choice, though, I'll take the nine months of good for the three months of bad.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I fall in the "too much of a good thing" crowd. By that I mean I love the sun most of the year. In the winter sunshine will extend my "Top Down" criteria to 40F. In spring and fall it's just wonderful. It starts to wear on me in the summer. In SE Tennessee we call August the 98/98 season - 98 degrees F and 98% humidity. No amount of airflow will make a top down drive in full sun enjoyable. Endurable, yes, but not enjoyable.

Given a choice, though, I'll take the nine months of good for the three months of bad.
When its hot WHEN I Roof down A/C on full blast in your face Lovely :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only thing that's good about the sun and 90+ temps we've had here on lovely Delmarva is that my grass is nearly dead. After 3 days and 36 hours of work the last thing I want to do is tangle with my grass. Maybe I'll take the SLK out when it gets dark. Hasn't moved from its spot in the garage in about two weeks!

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,734 Posts
and i took it out in the rain today also. but now nice and clean

1 - 20 of 38 Posts