Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered 2019 SLC250
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SLC has heated seats and air scarf. The cabin heater is volcanic and keeps me warm even in sub zero temperatures with the roof down. The heated seats do a great job too. However my airscarf, even on max, is pretty tame (on both seats). The fact that the vents can't be adjusted means the airflow can easily be too high/low depending on whether you're tall, or like me, short. I assumed that the units fed hot air from the engine but learned they have their own electric heater, which no doubts dents fuel consumption due to extra alternator load. I generally drive with it off as it makes little difference.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,839 Posts
My SLC has heated seats and air scarf. The cabin heater is volcanic and keeps me warm even in sub zero temperatures with the roof down. The heated seats do a great job too. However my airscarf, even on max, is pretty tame (on both seats). The fact that the vents can't be adjusted means the airflow can easily be too high/low depending on whether you're tall, or like me, short. I assumed that the units fed hot air from the engine but learned they have their own electric heater, which no doubts dents fuel consumption due to extra alternator load. I generally drive with it off as it makes little difference.
Have you tried adjusting the head restraint height?

·
* Registered
2005 slk 280 6 mt
584 Posts
On a r171 The airscarf uses a chemical reaction heater element, and I believe is supposed to increase air flow and temperature with speed and according to the temp outside the car..i don't recall them having an adjustable vent ..
But maybe that's different on your slc?
Although only the drivers side works on mine its nice and toasty!

·
Registered 2007 SLK350 From San Rafael, California
54 Posts
I would agree that the airscarf seems overrated. Both of mine work and i feel some heat but its nothing like i imagined having a hair dryer blowing on your neck. Often, due to either seating or outside air flow, I feel next to nothing. I test it and Its working. If i put my hand over it, i can feel the warm to hot air blowing but not on my neck or head. My seats are pristine so nothing appears wrong with it. I agree that turned up all the way, the heater is incredible and the electrical seats fantastic.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,337 Posts
I have no issues. Guess (both of) mine works properly 😉 :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,675 Posts
Well, I have owned both a R171 350 with air scarf and an R172 55 with air scarf and can say absolutely that they are barely there when the vehicle is sitting dead still. Anything over 1 or 2 mph, they make more noise than anything else. Definitely no good for a leisurely drive in terms of making a difference on my neck. Doesn’t matter how you adjust them up or down.

·
* Registered
2005 slk 280 6 mt
584 Posts
I would agree that the airscarf seems overrated. Both of mine work and i feel some heat but its nothing like i imagined having a hair dryer blowing on your neck. Often, due to either seating or outside air flow, I feel next to nothing. I test it and Its working. If i put my hand over it, i can feel the warm to hot air blowing but not on my neck or head. My seats are pristine so nothing appears wrong with it. I agree that turned up all the way, the heater is incredible and the electrical seats fantastic.
A hair dryer they are not,well depending how much hair you have..I have little so there is a possibility that it could dry mine😀
In combination with roasting feet,hands,bum i certainly know the difference between having the airscarf on or off!

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
517 Posts
We haven't really used ours...just don't seem to need it. Doesn't do much anyway. Usually just roll up the windows and turn the seat heater or main heater on as our location has very mild weather.

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
1,921 Posts
Like Len, mine works perfectly and it can get hot enough that I turn it off. I live in the cold north east and since I love top down driving, i have had need to use the air scarf...

OP say he is short in height, so I suggest to adjust the seating position to a slightly higher posture where the back of the neck is aligned with the scarf outlet. Unless the heating elements are damaged, you will (should) feel the heat if ON.

Reactions: Slik hot

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,428 Posts
I've got a 2012, the airscarf works well on both seats. It certainly doesn't blow like the dash vents but then if it did you would burn your neck in a matter of minutes. Mine aren't really too loud, driving with the top down and windows u around town they are really unnoticeable. I continue to believe they are just intended to be a warmer and not a main source of heat...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5 Posts
On my 2009 r171 they work well, I feel solid airflow in my neck. Do make sure your headrest is adjusted to the proper height. Only at speeds over 80 km/h-ish the wind making it past the deflector overwhelms it and it loses most of its effect. So from my experience if they are "barely there" they probably aren't working properly.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG
513 Posts
I really like mine, have had no problems, and like the warm feeling on the back of my neck. I am 6 foot tall.

Reactions: Slik hot

·
Super Moderator (UK)
31,542 Posts
I can't imagine that it was ever designed to belt out heat like a hairdryer.
This is a hairdressers car, they wouldn't try to fry the Barnet.

I could live without it, but it is pleasant in the bitter cold. (171 55).
SWMBO would NOT live without it. (171 350).

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC 300 Black on Black
2,523 Posts
The headrest height can be adjusted up or down. It takes some effort to move them and there are detents to hold them at the height you want. It had a 2007 and now 2019, both are adjustable.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,337 Posts
I can't imagine that it was ever designed to belt out heat like a hairdryer.
This is a hairdressers car, they wouldn't try to fry the Barnet.

I could live without it, but it is pleasant in the bitter cold. (171 55).
SWMBO would NOT live without it. (171 350).
Agree. I was just thinking that, maybe others expect too much from that heater err warmer.

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
3,224 Posts
My R172 (SLC) Air-Scarf is as effective as My previous R171 - They do make a difference on a chilly summers evening, but may be expecting a bit much from them at 70mph on a sunny winterday..??
I find that a combination of cabin heater, heated seats on "1" and Air-Scarf is the way to go... (y)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts