Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if there has been discussion on this subject-the search feature doesn't seem to work from the mobile version on my iPhone.

I have an 05 350 and I'm toying with the idea of converting the doors to the "Lambo Style". Anyone out there in the SLKWorld done this? And words of wisdom? Nightmare stories? Let me hear them please. Like Mel Gibson (impersonated) said on South Park: I can take it.

Now sit back and listen to the chirping of the crickets......

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,466 Posts

·
96,466 Posts
from my guy

Whether they come from NOPI or I supply them, you'll still be in the $5000-5500 range with labor. These take at a minimum of 30 hours to do.....my labor rate is $110 per hour. In some cases, they require additional parts from Mercedes to make them work. You can more than likely find somebody cheaper to install them but I will give you fair warning....this is not a job that you want somebody doing for their first time. I would give this job a difficulty rating of about a 9 out of 10 simply because of the complexity of what needs to be done and the amount of things that are modified.....there is also the fact that you are dealing with painted surfaces....there can be no mishaps. The wiring alone is very complex as you really have to know what you are doing to get the wires not only extended correctly but routed properly so there is no chaffing or binding when the doors are put thru their range of motion. I have done these on cars that have required a FULL day(9 hours) of aligning for just one door to make it fit perfectly. It's a very labor intensive job but the finished project is very cool.....LSD really built a top quality product.

I prefer to purchase the products to install as it allows me to have more leverage with the manufacturer should there be warranty or install issues. I deal directly with LSD as we are a dealer for them. I can try to match the price that Nopi has listed.

·
96,466 Posts
more:

Attachments

·
96,466 Posts
I do what I can :D

there are cheaper self diy kits like this:

CARiD.com

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I work with a dude who brought up the fact that he was thinking of doing it to his Challenger. I said well you'd better do it before I do. I think I'll just sit back and let him beat me to the punch and think that he outdid me.

·
96,466 Posts
see my post above yours

go to carid.com and put in your slk info and see what the prices are.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I bought mine already with Lambo doors. The doors come in handy in tight spots/garages. Having said that of all the modifications the previous owner had done to the car this is the one I could have done without. I find that the doors when opened the regular way tend to push back closed rather fast and if you don't know they are lambo doors you can hurt yourself trying to get them to open fully wide. I have had more than one passenger say "you should have warned me it was going to fight back". Then I show them the doors open "lambo" style. I have to admit everybody so far as liked them but I would not have spent the kind of money that I am sure he did buying them and installing them.
PS I believe they are the LSD doors so yes they open enough the regular way to get in and out just fine without putting them up.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm leaning away from the mod actually, sounds like more trouble and expense than it's worth. The car gets enuff attention.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There had been an slk55 on UK eBay recently that has lambo doors as well some other obvious mods. It was priced below market but had been advertised for some time without any takers.

Some mods, like the smarttop you know you'll get most of your money back (easily reversible and easily sold on eBay/forums).

Other mods, like tinted windows, you won't get your money back so you just enjoy it over your ownership of the car but at least it won't affect the resale value.

Lambo doors appear to be one of those rare mods that not only costs a lot to do but also hurts the resale value so you get stung on the way in and on the way out (and even if we do say that we want to keep the car forever, almost all will eventually go).

So (IMHO) it's only worth it if you really love the look and have money to burn, or you have a really narrow garage that won't let you open the door fully.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I still have my used LSD set that purchased from Red slk with sport fender about a yr or two ago. I never use it, because it doesnt fit the custom fender and never sell. If interest let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
There had been an slk55 on UK eBay recently that has lambo doors as well some other obvious mods. It was priced below market but had been advertised for some time without any takers.

Some mods, like the smarttop you know you'll get most of your money back (easily reversible and easily sold on eBay/forums).

Other mods, like tinted windows, you won't get your money back so you just enjoy it over your ownership of the car but at least it won't affect the resale value.

Lambo doors appear to be one of those rare mods that not only costs a lot to do but also hurts the resale value so you get stung on the way in and on the way out (and even if we do say that we want to keep the car forever, almost all will eventually go).

So (IMHO) it's only worth it if you really love the look and have money to burn, or you have a really narrow garage that won't let you open the door fully.
I believe this may have been the one: http://i.imgur.com/kcYwv4d.png I was also watching out of curiosity to see what would happen...:|

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yep, that's the one - I was tempted to look at it but no spare time. Wonder what he got for it in the end? Swapping out the monogrammed headrests might have helped!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.