Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,099 Posts
Heaven's no!
The car is not a boom box!

and you are still looking, yes?
Looking to purchase a R171 Facelift, around 2008 model.

·
'Silkie Growler'
360 Posts
Do you mean instead of all the other speakers? I guess what I mean is, it’s a bit too close to your head to mix in with anything else. I can see the sense of having something in between the seats - where the central storage panel is - that one could tune into the mix; although personally it might end up sounding gimmicky and ultimately redundant.
However, if you want to turn your 171 into a crazy disco, I say, ‘you go for it, don’t let anybody rain on your parade!’ Vive la difference 😊
Richard

·
94,099 Posts
any slk you get r171 usually has 11 speaker fl has 9

·
94,099 Posts
my point was to op...in case he did not know the number of speakers available in a r171 slk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct, still looking for a car. Have 5 weeks befoe I have to hand my Company car back as I start a new job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I fitted 7.5's behind the seat in the bulk head of my R171, if you decide to take this route then be prepared to undo the 40 odd screws holding in the bulk head. I then cut our a nice neat hole, in about the only clear space which meant eliminating the fixings for the wind net, but as I had a perspex one this didn't concern me. Though you must make sure that you put descent bit of insulation/gasket between the speaker and the bulk head as I found out to my detriment, it would earth out being that the mounting surface is slightly bowed and with the flexing of the car. This is something I had to rectify, which only meant dropping the speaker back out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I fitted 7.5's behind the seat in the bulk head of my R171, if you decide to take this route then be prepared to undo the 40 odd screws holding in the bulk head. I then cut our a nice neat hole, in about the only clear space which meant eliminating the fixings for the wind net, but as I had a perspex one this didn't concern me. Though you must make sure that you put descent bit of insulation/gasket between the speaker and the bulk head as I found out to my detriment, it would earth out being that the mounting surface is slightly bowed and with the flexing of the car. This is something I had to rectify, which only meant dropping the speaker back out.
to be more precise on the location, they were just to the right and left of the headrest between the headrest and the seat belt top point as there is a nice void there to allow room for the magnets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice, do you have any photos fo the work and finished look?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the advice, do you have any photos fo the work and finished look?
Sorry I don’t as that was probably 6 years ago and I sold the car early last. It was quotes straight forward though. If you systematically unbolt the top seat belt anchor points and then remover the rear centre box then from memory you then unclip the large plastic cover behind the seats and all the fixing screws are evident, then it’s a case of carefully working out the speaker locations, I then chain drilled a few holes to get a jigsaw in and cut them out. But will delve through some old iTunes albums incase I still have a few pics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry I don’t as that was probably 6 years ago and I sold the car early last. It was quotes straight forward though. If you systematically unbolt the top seat belt anchor points and then remover the rear centre box then from memory you then unclip the large plastic cover behind the seats and all the fixing screws are evident, then it’s a case of carefully working out the speaker locations, I then chain drilled a few holes to get a jigsaw in and cut them out. But will delve through some old iTunes albums incase I still have a few pics.
I found this on line which is quite detailed, I installed my speakers in the outer edge side of the seat in the plastic cover top section area. So that they were at ear level when sat in the vehicle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts