Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Any tracks allow convertibles? [Updated!]

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Durkatlon 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone has already checked to see which in the region allow for convertibles.

if not I will work on getting a list going.

#2 ·
Leave the top up. They won't know

#6 ·
Ha, right? I actually had two girls this weekend tell me they didnt realize there was such a thing as hard top convertibles.

For those that have never raced, its worth mentioning that you'll likely be required to drop the top while on the track for safety reasons -- in the event of a rollover, its going to cause more harm than good.

#4 ·
The SLK (and select other convertibles) is approved for events by NASA.

2020 Events

• Mar 28-29 NJMP Lightning- HPDE only
  • April 10 Lime Rock CT – HPDE only
  • May 1-3 NJMP Lightning
  • June 5-7 NJMP Thunderbolt
  • July 10-11 Lime Rock CT
  • Aug 8 Pocono S/E- MPACT Festival
  • Aug 29 & 30 Palmer – all groups plus TT & Racing
  • Sept 10-13 NASA Championships at Utah
  • Sept 25-27 NJMP Thunderbolt
  • Oct 9-11 Watkins Glen NY
  • Nov 7-8 NJMP Lightning- HPDE only
  • NASA Northeast | National Auto Sports Association North East

#5 ·
Club Motorsports
780 Ossipee Mountain Highway, Tamworth, NH 03886
603-986-9805

Arguably the most beautiful track in the US, it’s great to hear they do permit convertible that meet certain requirements (similar to NASA events).

Requirements:
  • Convertibles must have roll bars (a fixed roll bar and not just the emergency roll-over type.)
  • Driver's helmet must be below the roll bar and windshield. Ideally, there is a 2" clearance (i.e., "broomstick test.”)

#8 ·
I have run my SL63 top-up at Lime Rock, Thompson, Tamworth, Watkins Glen, and Canaan. In clubs Mass Tuning and SCDA. Never any questions about top. At Canaan, I ran one session top down, roll bar up.

I just got '13 SLK55 last month. Are clubs/tracks pickier about these than the SL63?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.