Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack the other seat thread, so..

I wondered if R171 or newer seats would fit our cars? I have a '99 R170 and my seats are tired and the "leather" is split on the bolsters. I can fabricate brackets and get aftermarket seats, but don't want to go that route, I'd rather find some from a dismantler.

So, does anyone know for sure what else will fit?

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
I replaced my seats with some from a '99 and they f it fine, even the electrical connections. Just in case you missed my info, mine is a '01 so I know they will fit your '99. I don't know if the '05 and up will fit or not.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
Why not have your existing seats redone by a good auto upholstery shop?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
That's why!! I bought both of mine for $300 and I am pleased as can be with them. I don't think that would pay for the leather for one of them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I didn't want to hijack the other seat thread, so..

I wondered if R171 or newer seats would fit our cars? I have a '99 R170 and my seats are tired and the "leather" is split on the bolsters. I can fabricate brackets and get aftermarket seats, but don't want to go that route, I'd rather find some from a dismantler.

So, does anyone know for sure what else will fit?
BUMP

Anyone know what seats bolt in? Any brand but luxury brands.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bolted in a Corbeau LG1. Looks like it was made for the car, keeps the sporty feel. It's suede and leather and the most comfy seat I have ever sat in. Looks factory too doesn't look like it is aftermarket. I vote for this as replacing the seat with other SLK seats will lead to the same leather cracking problem. I paid ~$550 for it with the direct bracket. Best thing I have done to my SLK

·
Registered
373 Posts
i would just like to add, keep in mind, if you're replacing your seats with a third party brand, unless you get ones with heating elements, you will loose your heated seats. for me that's no bueno. i know there are some brands out there that do have heated seat options, but they are an arm and a leg

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
I'm pretty sure the R171 seats 'could' be made to fit, and maybe even work to a certain degree as they do in the later car...

Cheers
Sean

·
Registered
24 Posts
i would just like to add, keep in mind, if you're replacing your seats with a third party brand, unless you get ones with heating elements, you will loose your heated seats. for me that's no bueno. i know there are some brands out there that do have heated seat options, but they are an arm and a leg
I don't really care about the heated seats as the heater does a good enough job for me in Australia!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I added the heating pads to mine and I think it was $ 80? Small price to pay for comfort :) :tu:

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Dunno about the R170, but in the R171 there I think there are airbags in the sides of the seats. So if you replace your seats with an aftermarket seat would that make the car throw a code?

·
Registered
274 Posts
looks like it .I do know in the uk you can get a split side bolster in a leather seat replaced for about £60-£70 and they do such a good job no one can tell

·
Registered
351 Posts
I bolted in a Corbeau LG1. Looks like it was made for the car, keeps the sporty feel. It's suede and leather and the most comfy seat I have ever sat in. Looks factory too doesn't look like it is aftermarket. I vote for this as replacing the seat with other SLK seats will lead to the same leather cracking problem. I paid ~$550 for it with the direct bracket. Best thing I have done to my SLK
Thanks for the input - could you tell us a bit more about this seat - how the supplied brackets work - and how much higher/lower the seats set compared to the originals?

Do you still have full forward/backward travel?
The original seats have a height adjustment - do these?

Would it be possible to get a picture of them in your car?

I was surprised that they offer a bracket for the SLK - no one else seems too.

thanks,
Carl B.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just inherited my mom's 98 SLK R170 and the passenger seat seam on the side had slit. I had a local apholstry shop resew it and it looks great. Cost me $130. I did get an estimate for full replacement of the leather because it is getting hard and shrinking. He said it would be about $1500 for both. Based on his work I am sure that would be A1 work.

It was in downtown Dothan AL. Not sure the etiquette here being new so I won't post the name until some asks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry for the slight delay.

Everything bolted right up super easily. The bracket went in fine, needed a special internal torx socket to get the seat bolts on and off (the socket was $4).

The seat has forward rear adjustment under the front of the seat just like the OEM, instead of the rotating knob for the seat back adjustment it has a pull lever, which i prefer a lot more. It makes it simple and quick to adjust. I actually used the passenger seat on the drivers side so the handle is right next to the center channel and its easy to access. It doesn't have a height adjustment but you can add spacers when mounting to fit your needs.

The problem I had with the oem was when I was sitting my thighs wouldn't touch the front of the seat. This tired my legs quickly, especially since its a manual. With the Corbeau my butt sits lower and the bolsters hold me nice and secure. Its pretty much a perfect fit for me. My local dealer had 4 or so seats on display to try which was a good help to get fitted. It really is a night and day difference. The new seat is so comfy its easy to cruise all day and not get sore.

Ill get some pics posted later today.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi jonbonesjones:
Thanks for the feed back! I'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures !

Lumbar support is also an important consideration for me.. does the seat have a noticeable lumbar support?

For others following the Thread:
In reviewing/researching the Corbeau as well as the Ciper Seats offered by CarID {mentioned by "gonzosc1"} - I found that the SLK230 seat brackets were actually produced by Wedge Engineering.

Then reviewing Wedge Engineering's Web Site, I see they make direct-bolt-in brackets to mount the following brands of seats, in the SLK230's
Cobra
Corbeau
Momo
OPM
Procar by SCAT {no sliders}
Recaro
Sparco
Ciper Seats
Other - please call..

So this opens up a larger variety of seats/styles in case anyone is interested.

FWIW
Carl B.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Seems to me that I read somewhere that the seats from the Chrysler Crossfire fit in the R170 and they are much better seats. Can anyone confirm?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.