Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend called me and said he saw a 2005 SLK 350 he wants to purchase. He asked me if I knew of any problems withthe SLK for 2005.
  • Does anyone know of problems with the SLK in2005?
  • Is there an Internet sitethat has problem issues with older cars?
TheSLK he is looking at has 70,000 miles and the price is $17,500.00

Help

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,117 Posts

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,816 Posts
...as a side note... many of these issues have been resolved during the life of the car (eg recall, repair in the case of the sprockets and conductor plate) or don't affect all cars (oil consumption).

Is the car being sold privately, by MB, or a 3rd party (aka corner lot)?

But Jeff's right.. have him join, it's free...a lot of members start that way (I did!).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Balance Shaft

I have a 2005 slk350 48k miles. I am worried about the balance shaft issue.
I checked the cam timing marks. The marks on the left and right are both nicely centered with engine indexed at 301 deg.
If I index to 305 deg both marks are slightly off center. Not sure what this means.
I'm guessing if the balance shaft gear is worn you should not be able to center both cam timing marks at any engine indexing.
Right???
Any help??

Mercedes service tells me there is no serious issue with these engines.

·
105,117 Posts
I have a 2005 slk350 48k miles. I am worried about the balance shaft issue.
I checked the cam timing marks. The marks on the left and right are both nicely centered with engine indexed at 301 deg.
If I index to 305 deg both marks are slightly off center. Not sure what this means.
I'm guessing if the balance shaft gear is worn you should not be able to center both cam timing marks at any engine indexing.
Right???
Any help??

Mercedes service tells me there is no serious issue with these engines.
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (Put Looking!)(year?: 1996-2017, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
105,117 Posts
ignore what mercedes service says in this case

after you update your profile and post an intro we can ask and answer your questions when we get more info.

you did the video test in post 1 of the balance shaft thread?
then don't worry

did you get your datacard to check your engine number if in the range?
probably is

my previous 2005 slk 350 was in the range for balance shaft and never had any issues
had from new until 53000 miles when sold

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2000 SLK320
210 Posts
Silly reply removed.

·
105,117 Posts
Guys guys guys @nigelb001 @Roxanne7169

this thread is from 2015

a new member, gklim, brought it back to life
and you guys are supplying answers to an old thread posted prior to gklim resurrecting it
just sayin' ...gklim never asked a question about car prices :D
:D :D

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2000 SLK320
210 Posts
OK Jeff, you got me there, but where's the fun in just replying to new posts? >:D...........I'll get my coat on the way out.....

Reactions: jbanks15

·
105,117 Posts
You guys kill me! :D

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
Jeff,
are you trying to suggest that any of this is supposed to make some sort of sense?
Where is that rule written?

My recent post have included, The colour of the illumination of my stereo, length of wheel studs for a spare wheel, using a coin tray for a navman mount, using a gallon of epoxy resin to fix an interior light, ,,,None of that makes any sense at all.
Anyway, you're the one arguing with a lovesick wookie.

Roxanne7169,
Keep the irreverant posts coming!

Pictor,
( pictor is latin for painter, but also a constellation in the shape of the painters easel, actually, it's also the name for the 7 spoke rims on the first SLK230,,,,, more trivia)

·
105,117 Posts
Just what we need...you getting Roxanne started.
That's ok. More old posts/threads for you to read :D

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Roxanne7169,
Keep the irreverant posts coming
I'll pretend I'm not offended by your comment. Pictor

I had to google that word. You are obviously much smarter than me. Know this: It was NEVER my intention to be disrespectful to anyone.

I leave you with this thought: If a Wookie cries in the woods. and you are not there to hear it, is it any less important? Psst: the answer is No

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
Roxanne,
Absolutely not wanting to offend.
I always enjoy your posts, your last line was great.
Cheers

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
The purpose of this forum, at least as I see it, is to husband our mutual interest. That is, to keep our SLKs up and running, and always stunning, My posts are never intended to agitate or offend. I have the utmost respect for those who provide helpful and useful information. I will make great effort to do the same.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Roxanne,
Absolutely not wanting to offend.
I always enjoy your posts, your last line was great.
Cheers
I appreciate your response. Now then, WTH were we talking about? Oh yeah, an 05 for 17k? Crazy high, then and now. I'll sell you mine for 16.5. PM if disinterested.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
622 Posts
I might only be new here,

but I think the 'get a room' award for this month should be awarded to these two.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.