Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a trip to stoke coming up and it's riddled with pillow type speed humps that are in a bad state of repair.

I'd normally take the 4x4 but would like to take the slk as long as it's not likely to cause any probs.

Anybody have any problems with humps or ramps in theirs?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,132 Posts
just don't be putting the top up/dwon while travelling over them!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mine's an R171 but one of the things I appreciate about these cars is that Mercedes/AMG built them for the real world performance rather than solely for magazine test numbers. Mine has no problems with parking lot speed bumps or the speed strips in the parking garage at work. The stiff suspension doesn't exactly tiptoe over these things but at least nothing scrapes. My Corvette on the other hand had a problem with even the slightest approach angle if there was a change in level between say, the street and a driveway. I used to cringe every time I pulled into my drive. Luckily Chevy saw fit to make the bottom inch or so of the front air dam a piece of flexible black rubber. That took most of the abuse. The S2000 front bumper was lower than the concrete stops used in parking spaces here. So I had to be careful about pulling too far into a space. Best of luck to anyone with a Ferrari 458 or the like.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I would have to concur with RandomBloke. I was riding with my wife as we went to visit her Mom in the nursing home (daily occurrence when the wife is in town). They have several speed bumps made of plastic.

Yes the suspension IS stiff, but NOTHING scraped or touched. So as long as you don't mind the stiff suspension, you should be just fine.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm back from the trip - had no issues with the pillow speed humps (surrounded by pot holes to make it more "fun"), a reasonably steep driveway or a roundabout that had some crazy subsidence on it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quick question. My soon-to-arrive SLK250d has the AMG Sport option with suspension lowered by 10mm. Can I ask whether any SLK owners with the same option have any issues with 'grounding' when going over speed bumps?

Thanks,
Malcolm

·
Registered
56 Posts
I drive over 3.5 bumps every day with no problem. My exhaust is 4" off the ground. However, hitting buckling pavement at speed has caused my exhaust to scrape at times. It sounds so bad, but the car is strong:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
No problem with R171 low suspensions

Hello!

I have a SLK R171 with an AMG pack with lowered suspensions (minus 10mm) and have nevever had any problem with european lying cops ("gendarmes couchés", the french name for what you call "speed bumps"). Of course I hate those speed bumps, because the suspensions are actually stiff on the AMG pack, and even at 20 mph it's not a pleasure to be shaked as a baby rattle.:smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts