Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an completely stock '05 '55. I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in the OEM sizes (225/40 front, 245/35 rear) with the original 16 spoke AMG wheels (7.5 front, 8.5 rear), and I'd like to get some more traction without investing in new wheels.

Can I go to 255/35 rear tires? According to Michelin these would be 25.0" diameter versus the 25.1" diameter tires on the front axle.

I assume I can't use 265/35 as Michelin says the minimum rim width is 9.0.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,272 Posts
I have been running 255/35 for 7 years :D
I know one member at least running 265s/35. I wouldn't though

·
97,272 Posts
Jeff, any noticeable difference in handling or ride quality? Thanks.
Been so long I don't remember but with a little more surface area it is always going to feel better. Plus it looooks go good!!

·
97,272 Posts
I've heard from many sources that the max size recommended by MB for the SLK was 255. Also the 265 might rub the 'pigsears' so you might have to remove em.

·
97,272 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
463 Posts
Posting a little late here but...

I'm running 275-30zr19 on the rear myself. But I have to tell you that the rims are a custom offset 9.5x19's from Asanti.

After seeing the tire specs on the Kleeman SKL55s8,
2005 Kleemann SLK S8 - Supercars
I figured if they can get them to fit, so can I.

I have maybe 10mm clearance between the back side of the tire and the fender well and on the outside, the tire just barely tucks under the fender well with my B12 kit drop. No way anything wider would fit.

And the best part, no scraping.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts
Posting a little late here but...

I'm running 275-30zr19 on the rear myself. But I have to tell you that the rims are a custom offset 9.5x19's from Asanti.

After seeing the tire specs on the Kleeman SKL55s8,
2005 Kleemann SLK S8 - Supercars
I figured if they can get them to fit, so can I.

I have maybe 10mm clearance between the back side of the tire and the fender well and on the outside, the tire just barely tucks under the fender well with my B12 kit drop. No way anything wider would fit.

And the best part, no scraping.
Nice wheels (I checked your garage)! :tu: ... Why don't you enter 3 pics into the January Ride of the Month competition?! :D

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
463 Posts
ROTM? Could be. Thanks for the kudos. The photo that's in my garage was the seller's purchase photo when I first found the car

Those wheels were a real PITA. When I got it, the Asanti's were already on. The chrome was pitting on most of the centers, and peeling off the outer barrels. Really nasty looking. You would think a company that sells wheels for $1200 each would sell a product with a better chroming job. Either that or the Florida air is really hard on chrome.

So while it was up in the air having the suspension done, I disassembled them, replaced the 4 outers, then stripped and re-chromed the centers. That's when I had a machine shop turn the centers & reset the offset for the larger tires. Now, I probably only have 1/8 inch between the spokes and the rear calipers...

There was a lot of measuring, hand fitting, and the tires came on and off the rims several times before all was clear. Then the rims were resealed and I was golden.

BTW for anyone who is playing with tire size, the link below is chart that was really helpful. it has the corresponding tire widths for each different size tire & rims.

https://tiresize.com/chart/

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.