Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. that might be able to translate the main bits of this video?

The interesting part of this is that it seems to display information in the dash console! At least, the radio frequency. Don't know if it also displays songs played or the navigation..

I spent quite a few months researching the subject before I got my Chinese (Secaine) HU, and basically ever since when I didn't get anything in there. But no one, not even the name brands, seems to be able to do that.

This is the first I've ever seen of someone that have! And I'm absolutely DYING to find out how they did it!

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280 "Benzie"
69 Posts
Turbo,
the maker of this video lives in Oradea, Romania... not Hungaria...
My knowledge of both languages is below zero... 😁
But Google can do a bit... text on their site.

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
41,472 Posts
Turbo,
the maker of this video lives in Oradea, Romania... not Hungaria...
My knowledge of both languages is below zero... 😁
But Google can do a bit... text on their site.
If you have iPhone there is a setting to translate speech I believe.
Never used it myself unless in Liverpool north or hull.

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200K
129 Posts
Aaaah, ask member Goganu...
He should be able to translate it to Englisch.
Helou.
I think I'm able.

The video is in Romanian and describes: replacement with 7 inch monitor, android and touch screen youtube access, netflix, spotify, everything the internet plays, waze igo, google maps, usb access, sd card, bluetooth

If you want exact details tell me the minute of the video that is important for you.
It has 38 min........bla bla

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The video is in Romanian and describes: replacement with 7 inch monitor, android and touch screen youtube access, netflix, spotify, everything the internet plays, waze igo, google maps, usb access, sd card, bluetooth
Awesome, thanx!!

What I want to know, and I have no idea where in the movie that might be :(. But does he mention the MAKE of that head unit? Is it something he (and his company?) have built themselves or is something they resell?

How about that dash information? I could only see that he managed to get the radio frequency, but does he mention anything about songs and/or navigation in there as well? Does he say anything about HOW that's done?

There should be a CAN adapter in there, but there's nothing in picture, but there must be one. Somewhere. Does he mention that at all, is THAT something he's built himself? Is there any mention of any special software they've installed to get that (info in the dash) working (with the CAN adapter)?

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280 "Benzie"
69 Posts
Hi,
When I'm searching in the Netherlands on the Internet for navy SLK R171, I can read a lot...
With the same picture as in the you tube film, I saw several Dutch companies who are selling this kind of HU.
One of them wrote SteinBecker as the make, one other Erisin...
I also "discovered" Lenovo is making a big HU as Sandu Hifi is selling now on his site... Lenovo D1
Ali has all kind of "makes"...
Asking Sandu Hifi Shop would be the best... If they only could write/speak English (for you and me) or German (for me...)

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Ad B if you could ask around with those, I'd appreciate it..

I don't really need the HU itself, have one that'll do :). But what I DO need is the CAN adapter and the software on the HU that talks to the CAN adapter and the dash display..

I managed to figure out how it SHOULD be done - navigation, music and radio etc send "Android messages". These messages can (and are!) be intercepted (mostly, it seems this is currently done by the launcher only).

However, the Chinese have a very unique CAN adapter. It is specifically (and deliberately!) designed to filter out all .. "interesting" information on the CAN bus. Among them, unfortunately it seems, any and all information that goes to the dash. Although, it might be able to SEND information there, if we're lucky..

So with a better CAN adapter and whatever software or library on Android, it is (!) a fairly simple matter of taking the relevant Android messages and send them to the CAN adapter, that can send them to the dash..

I'd PREFER not to have to do it myself, so if we can figure out how that Romanian (sorry about that, it was a .hu domain which is Hungarian :) ) did it, I might get info in the dash "soonish" :D.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK350
48 Posts
I had the exact same disapointing experience when I installed my chinese ERISIN HU. It looks exactly like the one in the video. It shows only the track number in the dash not the title or artist. No GPS info or similar eigther.
I would be highly interested in getting some info back in the dash as well...

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280 "Benzie"
69 Posts
Hi,
I had a brief mail contact with Sandu Hifi.
He only speaks and write in Rumanian... I don't... But Google helps a lot in these circumstances.
He wrote me back that none of his new navy HU's gives navy info in that centre dash... 😥
(if Google did it right...)

Goganu, did I and Google translate that good?
This is what Sandu Hifi send me:
BUNA
maxim comenzi de volan si in cel mai bun caz sa prezinte postul de radio
directiile de navigatie nu le face nici variantele noi.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

The message I wrote on the facebook site of Dr. SLK (I think he lives in the Philippines...) isn't answered (yet) after 3 days...
(scroll down to the six't subject...)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts