Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for some new tyres on my OE Mercedes wheels.

I've narrowed my selection down to two particular tyres based on reviews and the tyre ratings for noise, wet grip and rolling resistance, etc.

The tyres in question are:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had these tyres on an SLK but especially if you've used them on a 55 :smile:

Thanks
Col

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,596 Posts
I think Dr eddy
@etyu always drives goodyear f1s

·
93,596 Posts
I recall when i got my 55 in 2008 I had goodyear f1s but i burned through those at 10000 miles

·
93,596 Posts
To be honest, my rears are lasting longer :D
Might be the LSD being a factor

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I think Dr eddy

@etyu always drives goodyear f1s
I had Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics but not the Asymmetric 3 (was not available then). They were very good tires but favor Michelin Pilot Super Sports currently (has had 3 sets). The Michelins seem to last a bit longer: 13K on Michelins vs 10K miles with the Goodyears , based on personal driving habits.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics but not the Asymmetric 3 (was not available then). They were very good tires but favor Michelin Pilot Super Sports currently (has had 3 sets). The Michelins seem to last a bit longer: 13K on Michelins vs 10K miles with the Goodyears , based on personal driving habits.
Thanks Eddy, that’s interesting regarding the life. The Michelin tyres are more expensive but if I can expect a longer life then that’s a plus and justifies the extra cost.

·
93,596 Posts
Plus 'sticky' :D

·
AND MABEL
14,061 Posts
I'm in the market for some new tyres on my OE Mercedes wheels.

I've narrowed my selection down to two particular tyres based on reviews and the tyre ratings for noise, wet grip and rolling resistance, etc.

The tyres in question are:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had these tyres on an SLK but especially if you've used them on a 55 :smile:

Thanks
Col
I've tried both Col, and am running with the Goodyear 3's at present. I'm happy with the grip they provide and will be refitting them when they're due for replacement.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Changed the original Pirelli Rossos for Mich Pilot Super Sport which after about 8k show negligible wear. They also have rim protection which is useful for unexpectedly high kerb parking. Much quieter than the Rossos and tons more wet grip too!

Maya via Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,567 Posts
I decided to go for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres this time. Will feedback here once they’ve had a road test! Thanks again for your insights.
If/when I have to get new boots, that would be my choice as well :tu:

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have heard good things about them! I have the PSS on now and am very happy with them. They don't have a lot of 18" sizes so I couldn't go with the PS4.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I decided to go for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres this time. Will feedback here once they’ve had a road test! Thanks again for your insights.
Be interested to see what you make of them Col, mine are just about ready for replacing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I posted back in Nov, as time came for me to replace the OEM Contis on the rear of the SLK55, after just over 6k miles on the clock. I was in your dilemma with choice, but previous with Michelins made me go that way. Definitely wasn't going to replace with Contis, as personally I'm not impressed with them, especially the last couple of months, they were lethal in the wet without even pushing it.

Have used Michelin PS3 and PSS previously on another SLKs, but went for the Michelin PS4, as they were getting some good reviews so got a pair ordered and fitted, all I can say its totally changed the rear end, nothing but praise so far not only in the dry, but wet grip is SUPERB. Would you believe Ive only put a few hundred miles on since Nov, but looking to get some use now Spring, oh and snow here.

You wont be disappointed with your choice, don't know about longevity, and dont really care, I want grip lol

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I posted back in Nov, as time came for me to replace the OEM Contis on the rear of the SLK55, after just over 6k miles on the clock. I was in your dilemma with choice, but previous with Michelins made me go that way. Definitely wasn't going to replace with Contis, as personally I'm not impressed with them, especially the last couple of months, they were lethal in the wet without even pushing it.

Have used Michelin PS3 and PSS previously on another SLKs, but went for the Michelin PS4, as they were getting some good reviews so got a pair ordered and fitted, all I can say its totally changed the rear end, nothing but praise so far not only in the dry, but wet grip is SUPERB. Would you believe Ive only put a few hundred miles on since Nov, but looking to get some use now Spring, oh and snow here.

You wont be disappointed with your choice, don't know about longevity, and dont really care, I want grip lol
Sounds promising! I’ve never found the Conti’s to be bad myself. I find the newer Sport Contact 6 better than the 5P’s but generally had no complaints.

I don’t think there’s a lot between the Michelin and the Eagle F1’s, from what I read they came first and second respectively in group tests. I think the Michelin tyres are slightly better for dry grip and have simlilar wet grip characteristics to the Goodyear although they just edge the wet grip and braking distance.

Looking forward to finding out for myself!

·
Registered
905 Posts
If/when I have to get new boots, that would be my choice as well :tu:
I have Super Sports on mine but as I'm changing the wheels (again) this year, so I am leaning to the PS4 also having heard good things about them or stick with the Super Sports (bigger size of course)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts