Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Yuck. Maybe its got something to do with being on the coast? Mine came from FL. I'll give it a good going over once it gets here. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Kevin, I don't think it's from being close to the coast. You have to live right on the beach for salt air affect. I believe it's from washing the car. I've noticed a lot of water under the door seal when drying. Shut the door after drying and re-open and there's more water to dry off.

People that live in areas of the world that rain and snow frequently should check behind the door seals because they are dealing with road grit and salt.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Well if it's from washing the car, I shouldn't have to worry too much than. lol But now that I'm in the land of regular rain (Vegas was not!) I'll have to keep an eye on it. I imagine I'll find out soon enough how the roof seals are too!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good link, thanks

So I pulled my seals, luckily no rust BUT soap residue and both sides were damp.

Wiped them out with a damp rag, seals too, allowed to dry and sprayed Powerplus dewatering fluid in the recess (Powerplus leaves a light brown residue behind that doesnt seem to evaporate like CRC, WD40 kero based stuff).
Hopefully it wont hurt the seal but they will be easier to replace than to fix rust later.
Popped the seals back in.

Bazzle

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've checked this and i've no rust there thankfully, although this winter has revealed much more visable rust (I suspect due to the incredulous amount of road salt my local council is using).

I have a small amount of rust appearing on the passenger side door, right at the edge (Where the paint is thinest) - See below (The picture disguises it somewhat, but it is definetly there);

This brings me onto a related subject and a couple of questions I have;
1) Can any North East, England users recommend anyone to sort this problem out. I'm heavilly waxing to protect from further erosion in the mean time.

2) All members;
Long Term - maybe back end of the year / next year I am considering a full respray;

a) Will this increase or devalue the car. Would this depend if I stayed with the original colour or changed completely (I'd quite like to see me SLK in Caspian Blue).

I would get this done professionally so no orange peel/flaky paint.

b) Would you recommend it

Cheers
Elwood

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.