Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!
Our R171 SLK 350 was backed into in a parking lot, so it's on it's way for repair. I can't post pics of it yet, but it's body damage to the Front D/S Fender and D/S Door. The SLK is Diamond Silver Metallic/Tellurium Silver.

I've got a place in mind and checked out their completed cars. Their completed repairs looked great, reviews from past customers seem good, and the crew seems to have a great camaraderie and enjoy their work. I'm pretty picky about paint match but don't have much experience in body work repairs.

Can anyone share some tips/traps/gotchas/do's/don'ts and things I should be aware of in this process? I know the question is a bit broad, but I'm hoping you'll share your experience to help me out and anyone else that has to get bodywork done on their vehicle. I'll post my experience with this repair too as it's completed or in process.

Also, if you have a recommendation for an excellent body shop in San Diego I'd appreciate that too :)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator Northern California US 06 SLK 280
10,313 Posts
Hi Everyone!
Our R171 SLK 350 was backed into in a parking lot, so it's on it's way for repair. I can't post pics of it yet, but it's body damage to the Front D/S Fender and D/S Door. The SLK is Diamond Silver Metallic/Tellurium Silver.

I've got a place in mind and checked out their completed cars. Their completed repairs looked great, reviews from past customers seem good, and the crew seems to have a great camaraderie and enjoy their work. I'm pretty picky about paint match but don't have much experience in body work repairs.

Can anyone share some tips/traps/gotchas/do's/don'ts and things I should be aware of in this process? I know the question is a bit broad, but I'm hoping you'll share your experience to help me out and anyone else that has to get bodywork done on their vehicle. I'll post my experience with this repair too as it's completed or in process.

Also, if you have a recommendation for an excellent body shop in San Diego I'd appreciate that too :)

Thanks!
I was an auto adjuster for over 40 years. If you want to post some pictures of the damages or the repair estimate, I might be able to give you an idea of what to expect and what to insist on.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
Guess their insurance is paying. Most large insurance companies have prefered repair shops. Have found that they do good work and less hassle in getting repair. Get with MB dealer who they use. Unless your car has faded there should be not problem with matching color.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uggh. Car is still in the body shop. They're replacing the D/S door and fender but supposedly they've gotten several replacement doors in from Mercedes-Benz and they're "creased". I don't think they have a reason to be dishonest, but I'm starting to wonder why it's so hard to get an OEM replacement door. I'm glad they're rejecting them if they're not good, but I'd like to see one of these "creased" doors they're rejecting. Their communication started out good, but has become non-existent for the past 10 days. I won't post the name of the shop it's in yet, but we're coming up on 2 weeks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm on my way to the shop to take a look at what's happening. Supposedly the new door assembly is heavy and when the suppliers store or ship them, the weight of the door causes them to crease while they're in the package. The shop says they may have one that's good enough that they can repair it. I'll see if I can take a picture while I'm there. Any one ever heard of this? The shop also says they're not able to find more doors in stock anywhere. Is that likely?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts