Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazed a search didn't bring this up but anyway.. Not sure when my antifreeze was last changed so where do you drain it?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Not sure if there's a proper drain point on the SLK, but what I've always done is disconnect the lowest coolant pipe, let it drain, reconnect, fill up.

After filling, leave the cover off the expansion tank, with engine running, squeeze every coolant pipe you can find to expel trapped air. Replace expansion tank cover when all air has been expelled.

BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL NOT TO CATCH HAIR, HANDS, FINGERS, OTHER BODY PARTS IN MOVING ENGINE PARTS (V BELTS ETC) WHILE DOING THIS.

I got away with a very slight injury to a finger last time I did it - edge of a belt cut the skin - could so easily have been a lost finger.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
On your SLK I think the coolant service interval is every three years. Starting in '03 the interval went to every 15 years or 150K miles. make sure you use a proper coolant. The typical green stuff is not approved. Measure the amount you drain out and compare that to the capacity and you can see if you've gotten most of it out. Flush it a few times with water and then a 50-50 mix of distilled water and the correct coolant.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havn't done it yet due to rain, but i wonder how important distilled water is compared to tap?

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,412 Posts
I havn't done it yet due to rain, but i wonder how important distilled water is compared to tap?

That depend on how much and type stuff in your tap. I have seen tap water when boiled would leave a residue ring in a post. Not sure I would want that in my cooling system.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Yeah for about two bucks worth of distilled water, I'd play it safe.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I recall changing the coolant on a Caterham 7 I used to own.

In order to ensure that the air was expelled properly, Caterham recommended raising the top of the radiator so that it was the highest point in the cooling system - while the engine was running to make the water pump work.

We had to use an engine hoist to lift the front of the car sufficiently.

Oh, how we laughed at what fun the manufacturer had made of maintaining it! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.