Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My ARB/Sway bar bushes are on there way so looking to replace them. My question is this - Mercedes only provide a full replacement bar and not bushes - should I be looking for a beefier ARB to stiffen the front? Have other members just replaced the bushes without replacing the bar? Are there any worthwhile polybushes that members have fitted please?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,500 Posts
Hi All,

My ARB/Sway bar bushes are on there way so looking to replace them. My question is this - Mercedes only provide a full replacement bar and not bushes - should I be looking for a beefier ARB to stiffen the front? Have other members just replaced the bushes without replacing the bar? Are there any worthwhile polybushes that members have fitted please?
If you don't have the sport package you could upgrade to that bar or the AMG 55 bar. While I don't know the diameter of each bar, each car does have its own separate part number so I suspect each bar is larger than the other. While the bushings are not available separately, they do look fairly typical so generic urethane bushings may work.

Remember that just changing one component will not necessarily give you the results you are looking for. Installing a larger diameter front bar may reduce front body roll while increasing under-steer. The entire suspension system is designed a 'while' working system.

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that's a good reply. I'm after making the car a little stiffer up front - I've already put the sport springs on so I think the ARB will complete the work nicely. Does anyone know the part number for the sport ARB please?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,500 Posts
Thanks that's a good reply. I'm after making the car a little stiffer up front - I've already put the sport springs on so I think the ARB will complete the work nicely. Does anyone know the part number for the sport ARB please?
The front bar is part 171 323 53 65, which can be purchased for abut $90 online. The rear bar is 171 326 19 65, also at $90.

Edit - just noticed you are in the UK so the pricing may well be different.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,972 Posts
You might also consider the Weichers strut bar. Quite a few people on the forum have it and it makes a very noticeable difference for cornering.

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys - the sport bars will be ordered once I can find the UK part numbers. Having the US ones helps a lot though. I will try it like that first and then see if I think the additional strut brace will help.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
Thanks guys - the sport bars will be ordered once I can find the UK part numbers. Having the US ones helps a lot though. I will try it like that first and then see if I think the additional strut brace will help.
The part numbers for the sway bars should be identical worldwide; standard, Sport package, and 55 AMG variations (and maybe Black Series?). So, three different choices (or perhaps four). This is one of those areas of the car where LHD or RHD doesn't make any difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.