Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You that have etches do you notice any visional restrictions. The wifey is wanting to know. I told her the solution but I can't post her reply here:)

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,617 Posts
going to move your question to the windrestrictor section. Others can also answer it there.

·
AND MABEL
14,061 Posts
"If you keep to a relatively simple etching, instead of a picture type, it is not a problem" was advice I gleaned from a thread here some time before I purchased mine. It holds good. I have an etched lighted (red) windrestrictor, with a simple design (instead of the fire breathing dragon I originally thought about!), and I have good rearward visibility, even at night, with it lit (check pics in my garage). I don't have any untoward reflections either, which was another concern I had.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have the MB star and Mercedes Benz engraved and barely notice, but when I do it makes me smile. I occasionally get the sun reflecting off of it and into my rearview mirror and back into my eyes...thankfully I wear quality sunglasses...so not much of a problem. I think this is perhaps due to my height of 6ft, seat positioning, and obviously mirror positioning. If I had any real issue I would just go and buy a matte screen film and I am sure that would solve my glare issues, but it only happens when the sun is positioned just right and I am driving towards it so overall not enough of an issue for me to do that. Perhaps a more elaborate engraving could reduce that potential, but yes it could also limit the visibility somewhat out of the rear view. I highly recommend the screen by windrestrictor and I seriously doubt you would regret purchasing it regardless of the design you have engraved.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
I have etches and wording all over it. I was worried about glare and how I was going to see in the blind spot to change lanes. You get used to it and re-train your eyes to see through it. I would imagine it's easier than trying to see through the mesh wind screens that's for sure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Installed

Installed the windrestrictor today. 30 minute job and very easy and good directions. I did a little something extra that I don't think will have any functional impact. After looking at the base that sits in the bulkhead I decided to affix a piece of very thin self adhesive felt. My thinking is if it were ever removed you may be able to see were it was sitting. This looks like a OEM accessory. Anyone ordering a new SLK would be better leaving off air guide and getting this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am absolutely in love with my WindRestrictor. I didn't get the lighting feature so it was very easy to install (30 minutes or less & I’m a girl). This will add another 2 to 3 months of off-season SLK top-down driving time.

As for being distracted by the etching, I was a little distracted by the etching the first day, but have since gotten used to it and now it just makes me smile. Basically, if you see red and green flashing lights, you are just getting another ticket.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts