Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a quick update to confirm that my SLK passed it's UK MOT this morning, with it's custom x-pipe and 2nd cat delete! :tu:

Emissions were well within spec, as follows...

June 2015
'Fast Idle Test' results:
CO: Limit 0.2 - Actual 0.03
HC: Limit 200 - Actual 19
Lambda: Needs to be between 0.97 & 1.03 - Actual 1.00 (i.e. right in the middle)! :D
Natural Idle Test results:
CO: Limit 0.3 - Actual 0.12

>:D

For those that want to compare this with pre-exhaust mod emissions data, here are the results from the most recent MOT I can find emissions data for prior to the exhaust work (from the previous owner)...

July 2012
CO: Limit 0.2 - Actual 0.001
HC: Limit 200 - Actual 45
Lambda: Needs to be between 0.97 & 1.03 - Actual 1.001
CO: Limit 0.3 - Actual 0.005

:grin:

Update to add emissions figures from June 2016 MOT (this was after a quick drive out before the test, so engine and primary cats nicely warmed up): :tu:
June 2016
HC: Limit 200 - Actual 5
Lambda: Needs to be between 0.97 & 1.03 - Actual 1.00
CO: Limit 0.3 - Actual 0.05

·
11,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did your insurance company respond when advised of this mod?
Notified them at renewal (custom stainless steel exhaust section), and they noted it on the policy. :)

·
Banned
804 Posts
I suspect the second cats are an insurance policy by Mercedes to prevent any emissions inspection problems. Also does the X-pipe really have any useful function except noise?

I should have added that the performance of nearly any system will decrease over time. They secondary cats probably would make up for it allowing the car to pass emission tests. 0:)

Manufacturers seldom add redundant systems unless absolutely necessary. For one they don't want to increase their costs, but the government on their backs would be a much greater cost. >:D

·
11,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suspect the second cats are an insurance policy by Mercedes to prevent any emissions inspection problems. Also does the X-pipe really have any useful function except noise?
The only reason I went for an x-pipe (and 2nd cat delete) was noise...

There are some that claim it might increase power (slightly), and there are some that talk about exhaust scavenging, and the benefits that brings... do a search either on this forum, or on Google, for xpipe scavenging and you'll find plenty of discussion on the subject.

However, as I've already said, the only reason I did this mod was for the improved sound (IMHO) I now get when I press on the loud pedal! >:D

·
11,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can I ask where the work was done?
Sean, the x-pipe work on my car was done at Custom Chrome in Nuneaton. See the links in my signature for more details & info. :D

Your profile doesn't say where you're based, so I don't know whether this is convenient for you or not. If you update your profile with your location, we might be able to advise of other places, as quite a few other members have had this work done elsewhere too. :tu:

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK230
567 Posts
Mot inspector gone on the sick with deafness, I've been behind you on the road :) insurance should be less the cat is the expensive bit ,

·
11,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mot inspector gone on the sick with deafness, I've been behind you on the road :) insurance should be less the cat is the expensive bit ,
It's a good job the MOT is a gas/particulates emissions test, and not a sound emissions test than, isn't it?!?! :D :tu:

·
11,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi I'm near Salisbury I'm not looking for anything too load. My S has racing exhausts and test pipe, so loud I need ear plugs. Just a little more burble on the AMG is needed.
Sean, Infinity Exhausts are near Bristol... I'm not sure whether you'd consider that too far for you to travel or not. Although I haven't used them, several other forum members have, and they've all been really pleased with the work they've had done there.

The extra level of noise you get from this mod is a very personal matter. I (and many others) have had the centre resonator removed and replaced by an x-pipe, and also had the secondary cats removed too. For me, this is perfect!... plenty of extra noise when you step on the loud pedal, but still cruises very nicely with no drone at (or above) average motorway speeds. :tu:

On the other hand, some think this is a step too far... for example, @ZeroZero (Andy) has an x-pipe fitted, but still has the secondary cats in place, and he's very happy with this set-up... I heard Andy's before I had my exhaust work done, and I agree that it sounds better than standard, but I eventually decided to go for the extra noise of having the secondary cats removed too (cheaper to have the work done all at once, and I figured that I could have them welded back in if I wasn't happy).

The problem is trying to hear them before you make your decision... although there is a video clip of my car before and after the work, from one of the links in my signature, it's probably louder in person than it sounds in the video clip!... I'm really happy with this, but it's difficult for you to get to hear both in person before you have the work done.

For me, the only time I cringe a little with mine now, is on a cold start-up when it's very early in a morning... it lets out a bark that's louder than any dog bark I've ever heard!! :D

·
11,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SLK just been in for it's annual MOT, and passed again with flying colours. I've updated the first post with this year's emissions figures, which are even better than they were last year (after a quick drive out before the test, so engine and primary cats nicely warmed up): :tu:

June 2016
HC: Limit 200 - Actual 5
Lambda: Needs to be between 0.97 & 1.03 - Actual 1.00
CO: Limit 0.3 - Actual 0.05

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
115 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Does anyone know where a good place to get Xpipe exhaust work done to a 55AMG in the Staffordshire/midlands area would be? cheers

·
Super Moderator (UK)
32,214 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Does anyone know where a good place to get Xpipe exhaust work done to a 55AMG in the Staffordshire/midlands area would be? cheers
A fair few Midlands members have done this work.
@dbgrn will have a better idea than me as to who went where.
I think most were Notts/Leics way.

When you get the work done ask them to do it so it is easy to reverse.
Cars are passing the MOT currently, even with tighter regs, but you never know.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
115 Posts
A fair few Midlands members have done this work.

@dbgrn will have a better idea than me as to who went where.
I think most were Notts/Leics way.

When you get the work done ask them to do it so it is easy to reverse.
Cars are passing the MOT currently, even with tighter regs, but you never know.
I really appreciate the response and I'd really love to know a reliable and good place to take my car for the exhaust work.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.