Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear fellow members,
I'm writing this message and feeling a deep grief for my beloved SLK 230 2003 (aka "sweetheart").
It served me 156,000 miles and didn't get a chance to get a High mileage award =( (since I'm out of country. I was planning on doing it upon coming back)

Today, my wife called me and said that she got rear ended... First thing is that she's all right. She has a little headache (probably shock aftermath and Houston heat) but I told her to go to the doctor and get checked out.

She was standing on a traffic light standstill and some guy on a Dodge Ram pickup truck read-ended her... (Now for a second, imagine this small SLK and Dodge ram :smile: )
Needless to say that I'm 99.99999999999 % sure the car will be totaled.
The roof shifted, read end bowed down. Probably frame damage, etc.

I will wait for an insurance appraisal and keep you updated!

Meanwhile I just wanted to say how great this forum is and I'm not leaving! I'll be sticking around. If someone needs smth simply poke me or send me a PM :wink::grin:

Here are some pictures of the damage sustained (sorry for my bad photoshop skills of the guy's face :grin: )

See that red truck next to my SLK? That's what projectiled at the rear end...

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,361 Posts
Oh Jayson! So sorry my friend!
Glad wife is ok and now a chance to upgrade!

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,748 Posts
JAYSON...NO.:crying: Glad the Mrs. is ok. Keep up with the studies and soon you'll have a another one!

You've helped so many members and you will be missed.:frown: Do not be a stranger.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
So sorry about the damage and probable total loss. Glad the wife is relatively fine.
Maybe an R171 or R172?

Reactions: ichris93

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,124 Posts
So glad your wife is OK.... good idea to have her checked out anyway...

Hope this is all sorted out fairly quickly.... and then you can go shopping for another MB...:grin:

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
As other posters have stated, the main thing is that your other half is okay. Metal can be replaced. I hope that you get an acceptable outcome from the insurance, and of course, get another SLK :).

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your support!
My wife is OK. She got checked the same evening and doctor said it's minor concussion. Shouldn't be anything serious. So knock on wood she feels better tomorrow.

I hate to say but another SLK... Maybe when I get bold enough in about a dozen years I'll definitely get one and dang it's going to be an AMG with Eisenmann exhaust for Vroom vroom :) Will miss top down cruising and seeing people dropping their jaws when you have a SmartTop and flip that roof switch while cruising and watching the "transformer" move :) (grin)
But for now we're set our eyes on a good American truck! Safety first!
But SLK will always be my favorite car! Can't beat comfort and thrill of a convertible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
868 Posts
having been rear-ended in the past give it a little more than just a couple of days to if your wife feels ok (I'm still suffering from my accident 20 years ago :(). Glad no-one was hurt though it has to be said that SLK did look in great condition for 150k and 12 years old!!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you folks for all the compliments and support! My "sweetheart" was running like a champ! I tried to maintain it whenever it had issues and it could easily last me another 150,000.
So sad we had to part this way...
Looked at the video from the dash cam and it seems the guy has been texting or definitely distracted with smth since the traffic was standing still before he approached and there were no cars in the left lane. He could have swerved but since he wasn't looking at the road he simply ramed my car...

Please, be responsible! Don't text & drive! It can wait! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Glad SWMBO is OK.

Sorry to hear that your beauty might not remain active. Any chance of buying it back, and working one it (or even getting all the goodies back off it?)
You could even become a multi-car family, with the SLK just for fun?

Good luck with all of it.
Anon

·
Registered
158 Posts
How awful!!

My sympathies to you JaysonM! So glad your wife is okay.
I know some people after that type of accident also find benefit from seeking some other therapies like chiropractic care and/or massage therapy.
Makes me just heartsick for you to loose your sweetheart in such a way that could have been avoided.
I have driven trucks, typically a super cab with an 8' bed, for decades. Yes, there is much more safety and functionality but I will not ever return to one of them. SLK has my heart forever!!
Sometimes I just wanna wrap my SLK in super bubblewrap for all the crazy drivers out there!! Not to mention putting the silk rope stands around her when I park even though she is not really anything special and she's a 2001 but I love her that much and she's mine!!
We grieve with you in your loss and we are all here for you!!
McSLK:wink:

·
Registered
373 Posts
sorry to hear this about your car, i know i would be devastated if something like this happened to me. glad to hear that your mrs is okay, hopefully she'll be back to normal in a couple of days as the dr said. i hope this isnt too soon, but any chance of getting the car back from insurance and doing a part out? i know there would probably be many people, including myself, that would be very interested in some parts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh Jayson, no. ?

I am heart broken for you. I know you loved your baby and did so much work on her - most of which I followed and did because of your input.

Really glad no one was hurt.

I, for one, don't know how I'll cope without all your help and advice on here. Please don't leave us.
You're the best.

Jo

·
Registered
134 Posts
Glad to hear your wife is OK. Sad to hear about your SLK. Your wife was probably in one of the safest small cars around, I would not want to know the outcome if she was in anything less (i.e. Miata). Nice to know it wasn't a garage queen and you and your wife used it regularly. Stay safe, count your blessings!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.