Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the 2nd time in a few days I've been in a situation where there are 3 SLK's together.

Yesterday, 3rd August, 9.10am, Warwickshire

Black R171 facelift 280, female driver - heading out of Knowle towards Jct5 M42. Went straight on at the roundabout towards Solihull.
I was in a side road coming from Hampton-In-Arden and followed you those last few hundred yards to Jct5 where I turned left to head south on the M42.

As we approached the roundabout at Jct5 a red R172 came off the M42 southbound and turned right on the roundabout to head to Solihull. We basically both pulled on to the roundabout side-by-side as the R172 went across in front of us. A large blanket would have just about covered the 3 of us :laugh:

I very rarely go back and forth to work without seeing at least 1 other SLK somewhere. I'm starting to think I live in SLK central!

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,112 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Midlands is the centre of all thinks SLK.

That's why most meets are out that way.
You're not kidding!
My daily commute is a 42 mile round trip and it's extremely rare to go a single day without seeing at least 1 other SLK along the way.

In contrast, I was in Michigan for a week recently and only spotted a solitary Red R170 the whole time I was travelling around.

I'm surprised MB haven't located their entire SLK spares to a warehouse round this way - would seem to make perfect sense from a logistics perspective :grin:

·
Registered
152 Posts
There are THREE on my street!. Usually see at least two every morning on my way to work, usually A1 near Boroughbridge. I always wave but the roads are not suited to a stop and card exchange.

One tonight was ahead of me crossing Aldwark toll bridge. We both had the tops down enjoying a bit of early evening sunshine. :)

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
We were up to five in the immediate neighbourhood....

We just did a 1600+ mile trip (Ottawa - Syracuse; Syracuse - Cooperstown; Cooperstown - Ithaca; Ithaca - Watkins Glen; Glen - Niagara wine country; Toronto (Blue Jays) and home via Prince Edward County wine country. On the final leg out of Picton, we headed up to Lake on the Mountain (nice little bistro with a fabulous view and decent food and drink), turning onto the road up to the Lake, there was another 171 also silver - we exchanged pleasantries but we were in an intersection and had to keep moving.. Cheers if you're a member!

·
Registered
220 Posts
That’s what I love about owning an SLK in New York, usually don’t see more than a dozen SLK’s all summer long. The looks you get are priceless!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly most of the SLK owners round here don't have any sort of camaraderie.

This morning I was sat at the lights directly alongside another SLK. I looked across to try and give a friendly wave or nod but the woman driving it completely blanked me.

This has happened a couple of times now when I've tried to acknowledge other SLK's. As an ex biker I'm used to giving and receiving acknowledgments to other road users of the same 'clan'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts