Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A year or more ago with the aid of this forum and a couple of other benz forums I identified a problem with our R170 vario roof and repaired it succesfully. It was the limit switches and I simply removed the bellows - FIXED! (Thankyou to all that went before me)

Now I have a new problem and it's driving me round the bend. The roof started to fail at different stages many months ago , initially the rear quarter windows would drop and the boot would open then the roof would fail.
Then the rear quarter windows would drop and the boot would fail to open
Now the rear quarter windows do nothing (99% of the time), the boot does nothing, and the latch cylinder at the front of the roof has a little go at opening and fails.

I have stripped out the roof lining etc.. manually opened the front latches, and still the only thing it does is have a mild go at moving that cylinder. After I open the latches manually it shuts them perfectly however - then winds up the front windows.

You can hear the Hydraulic pump fire up for a few seconds then wind down and cut out

I have tested the following:

• all three switches (2 in the roof and 1 on top the windscreen) are working correctly

• removed and tested the black relay on the hydraulic pump - good

• checked the fluid level - great, never lost a drop in the time we owned it

• searched for leaks, none found
I have read every post I can find in this forum re the roof :(

I should ad that last time I fixed the roof I managed to open it manually but this time I don't seem to be able to do that (and the boot no longer opens so worried about damaging the expensive paint in opening the roof))

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,205 Posts
moving to r170 general discussion. the diy section is for established diys.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have tested the following:
  • all three switches (2 in the roof and 1 on top the windscreen) are working correctly...
There are nine limit switches plus the main control switch that all must be working correctly for the roof to go through a full cycle. One or more failing could cause the problems described.

1. ".....initially the rear quarter windows would drop and the boot would open then the roof would fail." Could be the 'trunk open' switch. When that switch is tripped the next stage is the top unlocking at the headliner. If the switch is bad the process stops there.

2. "...the rear quarter windows would drop and the boot would fail to open". Could be the 'trunk lock' switch. The boot won't open to receive the roof if the system senses that it is not latched properly.

3. "...the rear quarter windows do nothing (99% of the time)". I'm not sure but I believe the windows are controlled by the main switch on the console.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update: I bought a new pump, I haven't fitted it yet. Still winter here but will update this thread to let you know if it fixed it.
The fitting looks a little daunting, any handy guides you can link me to?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.