Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the SLK, I was most taken with the great aftermarket wheels it had.
I had it up on axle stands whilst doing the head gasket job and thought I’d check for wheel bearing play as the front wheels were off the ground.
There was very slight play in the near side so I put this on my mental to do list.
When I came to adjust the wheel bearing I discovered that all the wheel bolts are specI’ll anti theft bolts and the tool isn’t present, annoyingly the original MB one is present.
Its like a Torx or spline pattern but not quite.
I managed to get one out with a 3/8 breaker bar.
I have tried every tool store and motor factor on the island and drawn a blank, so last night I ordered a set of universal anti theft bolt adapters in the hope that it contains the one I need.
Presumably these aimed at wheel thieves 🤔.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,095 Posts
When I bought the SLK, I was most taken with the great aftermarket wheels it had.
I had it up on axle stands whilst doing the head gasket job and thought I’d check for wheel bearing play as the front wheels were off the ground.
There was very slight play in the near side so I put this on my mental to do list.
When I came to adjust the wheel bearing I discovered that all the wheel bolts are specI’ll anti theft bolts and the tool isn’t present, annoyingly the original MB one is present.
I managed to get one out with a 3/8 breaker bar.
I have tried every tool store and motor factor on the island and drawn a blank, so last night I ordered a set of universal anti theft bolt adapters in the hope that it contains the one I need.
Presumably these aimed at wheel thieves 🤔.
Good luck. Let us know.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,729 Posts
You could always get a very-slightly smaller socket and hammer it / hammer it / hammer it (it will be tough going) on the offending bolt and twist it off that way. NOW, I know that works for nuts (prior experience) so it might work the same for those bolts. There is always a chance it might damage the threads (don't care about the bolts) so be advised.

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
3,485 Posts
If I read your OP correctly, /\ /\ /\ I suspect these Bolts are internal heads, rather than regular Hex etc ...................

If you have one of the bolts off, take them to a decent tool shop, it may be that with internally splined bolts you can buy a suitable slightly larger Torx, Spline or Ribe bit, do not buy cheap Chinesium, (get good quality because if it breaks it makes matters worse) ................

Then as Len correctly says whack it into each bolt with a big copper mallet and undo ...............

Re the whacking, 3 or 4 sharp whacks also helps the loosening process ;)

HTH

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
3,485 Posts
Which is why I didn't suggest some of them :p

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,241 Posts
Which is why I didn't suggest some of them :p
:ROFLMAO:

I got in a panic a couple of years ago when I mislaid my key - actually went for a drive around the block with the key still on the bolt after fitting a new wheel speed sensor, it was only when I got home and started to put stuff away that the thought crossed my mind of "where is my key?" o_O :eek: Once the realisation had set in I took a slow drive and then an even slower walk and eventually found it lying at the side of the road - happy days :love: 🙃

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,583 Posts
Any good tire shop should be able to help you to unlock them bolts Here in the States Discount Tires got several keys on hand and helped me out in the past.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts