Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anodised black mid console

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  DeLorean-DMC12 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I bought a used 2012 SLK.
Dark grey with black leather interior and the aluminum mid console like many other SLK’s
I never liked aluminum parts in any car. My favorite is the black wood console, but I cannot find it for sale on the internet.
the carbon versions are not bad but not fantastic and pricey.
I had the thought of removing the aluminum console and have it anodized black.

Anyone ever did this, are there any pictures available?

Regards from Belgium
John

#2 ·
#7 ·
This is a topic of interest to me as well.

The fake wood veneer console in mine is the saddest part of my car I am stuck with... I am absolutely NO fan of wood anywhere in a car and thinking to go with black carbon or CF wrapping for the console and door panels and then swapping out the steering wheel to the leather-wrapped option in standard R172s :grin:>:D (as this one for sale in EBay). Hmmm....

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Center console

#8 ·
This is a topic of interest to me as well.

The fake wood veneer console in mine is the saddest part of my car I am stuck with... I am absolutely NO fan of wood anywhere in a car and thinking to go with black carbon or CF wrapping for the console and door panels and then swapping out the steering wheel to the leather-wrapped option in standard R172s :grin:>:D (as this one for sale in EBay). Hmmm....

View attachment 554676
Not sure what they sell up north, but I opted for the real-tree upgrade iwhich ncludes highly lacquered walnut door and center console trim as well as a wood/leather steering wheel and wood shift knob. Not fake wood veneer....lol

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
There certainly are some great wrap options out there.
I saw some other variants of carbon wraps and they do not look bad at all.
So the wrap is more preferable to me now and not anodising it.

Looking at utube on how to do this does not look that bad at all. I build models I think I can do this myself. Taking out the console worries me more than the wrapping. If I do I will post pictures.

#13 ·
I assume by this observation that a wrap could potentially pull off the aluminium layer as it would be glued on and you will be using a hairdryer as a source of heat to fit and possibly later remove the wrap.
It may be worth while buying some second hand trim pieces to wrap? Doing this will also show you where all the clip points are when you come to remove the original.

I have put @Col on here as he has wrapped some bits of his car.

I have wrapped some areas of my interior but they are just silver plastic.

#18 ·
I ordered a roll of wrap, black aluminum. So I will go for the wrapping. I bought enough material to do it again in case the first attempt fails. Plus enough to try first at some random pieces. As this thread goes about wrapping now and I cannot see it elsewhere in this forum I will post a new thread about the wrapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.