Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has rock chips and don't like the manufacturer touch up paint, try Dr. Colorchip. Check out their web site, pretty cool stuff. I got a bottle and tried it, best touch up I've ever done.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,419 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
do you guys have more rocks over there? I can hardly notice any rock chips on my car... ?

Just curious and the dealer dont even know what a "clear bra" is over here :(

·
96,419 Posts
it's all that highway construction!

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts

·
96,419 Posts

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Yes its been 3 years, low mileage but I still have rock chips; hopefully when my kleemann lip spoiler arrives I am going to redo the bumper and add clearbra.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
I get pelted by the blasted salt truck! :tazz: It's a toss up...drive slow to avoid getting hit harder, but more frequently, or drive past it faster and get hit less, but with greater impact.

As for touch-up, I bought the MB touch-up paint and it was a shade or 2 darker than my paint...$70 wasted!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I ordered a touchup kit from Dr. Colorchip. Should be here in a couple days. I have a couple chips, and a few scratches I want to take care of. Hopefully it works, or at least makes them less noticeable.

Whomever had the car before me tried to touch up a few areas and it looks horrible. Big lines of globbed paint.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the clearbra but still chips can happen beyond the clearbra area on the hood which I can spot a couple small ones on mine :( I have low mileage but it's the highway that kills you with those flying rocks :mad:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
More options

I can't claim credit for this info, it's from a post on MBWorld. There's some interesting products out there! The basic method seems to be the same among many of these. Personally, I think I'm going to try drcolorchip because I have read a lot of good things about their product.

a) Lanka Paint chip and scratch repair technologies, is both a chemical and mechanical process, once the touch up paint has dried, The Blob Eliminator® will re-soften the paint, and the light rubbing mechanically begins to "smooth" down the excess paint, with the touch up paint now appearing on the cloth - LANGKA Paint Chip and Scratch Repair - Langka and Metallic Paint-the reason metallic looks different after using the product is the metallic flakes migrate to the upper level of the paint surface while setting up. To counter this, use the blue sanding card on edge immediately after applying the touch up, like a razor. This will remove most of the touch up while the metallic flakes are still suspended evenly throughout the paint, smearing the excess across the local area. Let dry and use the Langka to wipe away the smear tail left across the original (OME) paint. - LANGKA Paint Chip and Scratch Repair

b) A system called Sprayless Scratch Repair- Magic Touch

c) AutoSharp pen the pen itself is very easy to use. You simply shake it, depress the felt tip a few times to start the paint flow, and then begin to "colour" paint into the damaged areas, much like you would highlight a section of text in a book. AutoVisuals.com – The Best Automotive Paint Touch Up Using the AutoSharp Pen Note: The newly applied paint will appear darker; it will eventually lighten to match once it has been exposed to UVR

d) Dr. ColorChip™ Paint Chip Repair system - Dr. ColorChip auto touch up paint kit for stone chip repair on your car- BMW, Ford, Honda, Mercedes, Porsche, Lexus, Honda, Toyota- all color codes
Paint chip repair companies- (UK) ChipsAway : welcome

e) Touchup123- Use detailer’s clay on panel to be treated, Wipe on Final Touch Compound to prep surface,
Wipe Colorfill on ENTIRE panel to cover all the blemishes, Wipe on Final Touch Compound to remove excess Colorfill, Wipe off haze of Final Touch Compound to leave a polished shiny finish, Touch up any left over larger chips with a brush (can be built up and smoothed out later with Final Touch Compound if desired) - http://www.touchup123.com/
Metallic paints, silvers and gold’s, have to be applied with care to avoid problems with the "colour flop". Colour flop is the term given when metallic flakes in the chip reflect light giving you a lighter or darker appearance. This is a variable that cannot be controlled, for best results; shake the paint very well to get the metallic flakes evenly distributed before you apply

f)Automotivetouchup.com dedicates itself to touch up paint, aerosol spray paint, and auto or car paint backed by a strong exact colour match guarantee for your basecoat/clear coat original finish. They offer touch up paint packaged in aerosol spray paint cans and touch up bottles with a brush in cap applicator as well as auto paint packaged in pints and quarts cans.

They guarantee your touch up paint or spray paint to match the original factory finish on all vehicles. Orders are custom matched to your vehicle using your original factory paint code and the highest computer technologies available. Not only is their touch up paint the exact colour; the size of metallic and pearl colour is the same in your paint.

g) Touch-Up Magic Application: (Touch-Up Magic)
1.Thoroughly clean each chip or scratch with a silicone remover and shampoo.
2.Cover chip or scratch with touch-up paint.
3.Allow paint to dry to touch, but not hard. (Time varies with paints)
4.Dab-on Touch-Up Magic, wait 15-30 seconds.
5.Rub across blob with a soft cloth.
6.May also use plastic razor blade if necessary (included)
7.After repair has completely dried (24 hours), follow with your favourite swirl remover and wax.

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Im getting the clear bra aka protective layering done soon, I do hope I can get half of the bonnet done because im not in the mood to take my car for touchup or alterations.

·
Registered
347 Posts
is the autovisuals paint pen the most effectiv way to get rid of small chips?

·
Registered
347 Posts
also automotivetouchup.com is cheaper than autovisuals for their pen I would like to go that route and from brians review is the exact color. anyone can confirm the best quality paint pen for chips?

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,365 Posts
also automotivetouchup.com is cheaper than autovisuals for their pen I would like to go that route and from brians review is the exact color. anyone can confirm the best quality paint pen for chips?
After using paint pens from different vendors I've stopped using them and went back to using touch up paint using a tiny brush. The pens tend to drop globs of paint unless you hold them just right and getting the paint to start flowing can be a pain.
I just got the Dr Colorchip kit after reading a glowing review of it in the M-B Club of America magazine, but I have not tried it as yet.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Interesting topic guys... Keep up the reviews coming! I have quite a few rock chips on the hood/bonnet. I tried looking around for something to fix them, but haven't found any so far. I would eventually have to get something from the US, but waiting for your opinions before deciding what to buy. Will try to post some pics of the condition of my car.

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bought the touch up paint from MB, but haven't applied it yet. Anyone have any tips/tricks for applying this stuff? The dealer appears to have touched up many scuffs on the car prior to me purchasing it, but somehow they did it where the touch-up paint was almost level w/ the rest of the paint and had been polished. Got a big nasty chip on my roof and I really want to touch it up in a way that it isn't noticeable. Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.