Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm picking up my wife's new 2003 R170 tomorrow - well she is and I'm going along for the ride - and wondered which Angel Eyes to buy for this model. I've already canvassed the Internet and found various companies selling these lights in the States, Europe, Taiwan etc. I'm not overly keen to buy from eBay (although they're sometimes cheaper) because I'd like to know the best make / manufacturer of this type of OEM add on. I've seen the Spyder light advertised but most of the others don't appear to have a manufacturer's name in their adverts.

Can those who've bought Angel Eye lights for their R170 recommend the best manufacturer, best fit, finish etc. and perhaps where to get them?

Cheers,

TD.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,024 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Got mine from Germany

I don't know if they are best, but they fitted my car good. The installation was a bit tricky to get the attachment at the bottom of the headlight.

I got them here Carparts-Online GmbH - Index

Seems like there only are a few models, sold at many places.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,644 Posts
And now have a pair of Chrome Angel Eyes from Spyder. Suspect all on eBay are the same so went with rep and price.

Posts on SLKWORLD were essential particularly the one on Crystal headlamps for removal of the stock ones. Instructions that came with were incomprehensible.

Good news is that the kit installed directly into my facelift 320 and no adapter cables were needed (though two were included - see pic). Also did need to reuse the turn signal sockets & bulbs from mine to the new because mine has a three connector and post socket with a dual filament bulb (is also the parking light) and the black one included was a two connector with a single filament bulb. (see pic). Note that to fit correctly you must transfer the silicon gasket from the black one to the yellow one which makes it tight but also hard to turn. Best to do on the bench.

Other than that all of the wiggling, jiggling, and tickling to get the unit in place was needed. Not being able to figure the bolt out I just went with the two screws and seems tightly in place.

Aiming was interesting as they were pointed at the ground and to match my markings on the garage door they had to be cranked way up (two 8mm studs on back of each, one marked R-L and the other U-D), very sharp horizontal cut off in low beam pattern.

Am a little disappointed in the stock H-1s, suspect 37W (all bulbs included even ones that are unused and some LEDs I have not a clue what they are for) since seem a bit dim. Have some Silverstar Ultras on order just could not get two-day delivery like H-11s.

Was after midnight when aiming started so Angel Eye DRLs need to wait for a bit. Anyone have a good suggestion for how to wire ? Just have a bundle of red and black wires at the moment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,350 Posts
Many have reported and I also found when I had a 170 changed that when you get the low beams aimed the high beams are way to high. There is only one adjustment for the height and that is for both beams.

DRL was not required in USA until 2006. The 170 in USA did not have DRL. You will need to run a wire from a fuse that is powered when the switch is turned on to a connection on the light unit and remove the same connection form the normal wiring of the car.

I got chrome light bulbs for the turn signals to get rid of the fried egg look. The front of the bulb has a chrome cover but still flash yellow as required.

·
2,644 Posts
Noticed the highs light up the trees. But with good aim in the lows and SilverStar Ultras, I rarely need high beams, good lows will light up about 300 feet and the sharp cut off should not bother others. I just aim by the marks on my garage door from about 25 feet away.

Realized that about the Angel Eyes but worst case the cigarette lighter is on with the ignition, just hoping someone had an easily reached suggestion.

Any idea what those leds on their own red/black wires are for ?

·
2,644 Posts
And now have the Angel Eyes connected as DRLs (ignition on, they are on). Added a tap to the 5A switched fuse #33 (Tempmatic). Tap replaces one ATO 5A with two mini ATM 5A. Chose 33 because it had some extra space and wire pointed to a notch in the fuse case so cover closes. (Note an ATM works in an ATO socket just harder to remove).

All ground wires are connected but left the power off the two horizontal LEDs since seemed busy.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do your projector headlights when new have on their clear lenses blister-like pockmark dots?

Do your projector headlights when bought new have on their clear lenses blister-like pockmark dots like those on the attached photos?
Personally, I prefer the clear lens not to have any such pockmark dots (some, including certain Spyder dealers/resellers, claim it is a "design"). If you bought a set without any such dots, would appreciate getting some leads where you bought them.
Thanks very much in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nop No bubble on mine! You could ask polite to change your headlights with other? Just to make sure its not bubbly!
What a nice feature....

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
I went looking for these after-market headlights that are set for RHD cars and I failed.

Lots of suppliers sell LHD Lamps.

Ordering from US or EU is going to be a fail.

If anyone has links to certified RHD lamps it would be nice to see it. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts