·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
RIP Andy.

One of my favorite TV shows of all time.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Andy Griffith always impressed me with his good manners and common sense.......both on the screen and in real life. Early on, he studied to be a preacher. Later he taught high school music before becomming a film and television star. He was a key member of the greatest generation!

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,438 Posts
Rip Andy..... there goes another good Guy with a Gitarre

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Very sad indeed. To this day when I want to veg. and just watch something "thinkless" but entertaining, I still enjoy watching any episode of The Andy Griffith Show. I prefer the early shows with Aunt Bee, Opie and Barney to the Andy of Mayberry series that came later, but would even watch those if the early version wasn't available.

Thanks for the article Jeff. I didn't realize that Andy had Guillain–Barré Syndrome, a very rare neurological virus that I also suffered from in 1976.

...sigh........we lost another good one here :(

·
98,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
at least we can look forward to the tribute andy griffith show marathons on tvland and tbs

·
98,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
98,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
3,552 Posts
at least we can look forward to the tribute andy griffith show marathons on tvland and tbs
I can't wait ! The Darlings, the two girls from Mt. Pilot, anything Barney, Gomer Pyle, Goober says hey, Aunt Bee's pickles, Adventure sleeping, and of course Earnest T. Bass.

·
98,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
barney buys a car. aunt bee arrives to take care of opie. aunt bee runs for office and my favorite...aunt bee takes flying lessons

·
3,419 Posts
I can't wait ! The Darlings, the two girls from Mt. Pilot, anything Barney, Gomer Pyle, Goober says hey, Aunt Bee's pickles, Adventure sleeping, and of course Earnest T. Bass.
Dude, you left out Otis Campbell! When I was just a kid, I used to love the episodes where Andy got to play a "real cop". There weren't that many of them, bank heist-er passing through Mayberry and holding up in a cabin by the lake, when the Governor makes a visit to town, when someone is filling in for Goober and the filling station gets ripped off, there were a few episodes where he actually drew his gun!

Here's a bit of trivia for you. Have you ever noticed that in the new versions of the show that Floyd is NEVER shown standing but rather always sitting?

That's because something happened to him in real life along the way and he became paralyzed from the waste down, or so I was told.

Reactions: jbanks15

·
98,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
true, wikipedia:

In early 1963, midway through the third season, Howard McNear suffered a serious stroke. He was left with little use of his arms and legs, especially his left arm, which rarely moved. The producers of the show and Andy Griffith wanted McNear to return as Floyd when his health permitted it, and after about a year, McNear was talked into coming back (which he was not going to do at first). The show had a special chair constructed that McNear was able to sit in most of the time while on the set, as the stroke had left him only able to stand for short periods of time. Accordingly, the Floyd character then began to appear regularly again on the series towards the end of season 4.

The last appearance of Floyd the Barber on The Andy Griffith Show was in the final episode of the seventh season. Howard McNear's health worsened and he was not able to return to the show for season 8, and he died less than a year later. To try to fill in his loss on the show, a new character named Emmett Clark (a fix-it man) was brought in. It was announced on the show that Floyd had retired because he had earned enough money. Emmett (played by veteran character actor Paul Hartman) moved his fix-it shop into Floyd's old barber shop location in Mayberry.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I was 10 when the AG Show started. I still remember the life lessons he taught Opie...

RIP Andy :gh:

·
98,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how could i forget the xmas episode!!!

·
3,419 Posts
The Darling Family (the hillbillies from the sticks that would frequent Mayberry with their blue grass music and try to hook up Andy in marriage with the youngest daughter) is actually the Dillards, a band who still records today!

·
3,552 Posts
Another piece of Mayberry trivia. Earnest T. Bass was first a bit part played by the Director of the show and became so popular he reprised the role several times.

·
98,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so we can see how much the show was a part of our lives.

·
3,419 Posts
But not only this show......lets see.....

Lucy
Bonanza
Lassie
My Three Sons
Leave it to Beaver
Ozzie and Harriet
Ed Sullivan
Get Smart
Dick Van Dyke
Rin Tin Tin
Sky King
etc., etc., etc.

(just trying to remember the old Black & Whites) not including the really old ones like The Little Rascals, Abbot and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, The Three Stooges or were these actually movies and not T.V. series?)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.