Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
*Registered
2007 SLK280
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, hope you are all keeping well.
I have installed a Android head unit in my 2007 R171 but the sound quality is very poor, it may be the head unit at fault, but is there a upgrade kit for the speakers or something else I have missed that I need to install.
Keep yourselves and others safe.
Malcolm.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
859 Posts
Did you have good quality sound with the original unit? Then it's probably not the speakers..

What Android unit did you get? Maybe it can't handle the 2ohm (?) speakers? I was lucky I guess, my Android (Seicane) unit worked flawlessly (well, almost :) ) from the start.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK350
35 Posts
I had the same problem. Had reasonable sound with the MB unit, but after (up)grading to a Chinese HU I had crappy sound.:( I blamed the speakers as well. But after I ordered an amplifier and better speakers, I found, when I installed the Amp, that the adapter harness was wired wrong with the speakers. I rewired it correctly and Voila.. the stock sound is back. :D
I still need to install the speakers I bought though. It might improve it even more.
However, maybe check the wiring at the adapter harness for the speakers. You might have the same problem.

·
*Registered
62 Posts
I have installed a Android head unit in my 2007 R171
Interested to know which unit.

my Android (Seicane) unit worked flawlessly (well, almost :) )
Still can't quite take the leap of faith and place the order for this unit. They keep chasing me and offering a 5% discount and an ODBII unit for free.

but after (up)grading to a Chinese HU
Which one?

It's also important to know where you have come from. I have the base Radio 20 to start with :)

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
859 Posts
Still can't quite take the leap of faith and place the order for this unit. They keep chasing me and offering a 5% discount and an ODBII unit for free.
Depending on the price (£2-300 or below), I'd take it! In the long run (!), you won't regret it.. It does take a bit getting used to and they are a bit .. "quirky" at times, but over all, it's so much better than whatever's in there now..

Oh, and it also depends if you can do it yourself or if you rather have someone do it.. That adds to the price and then you're getting closer to the "is it worth it" line..

·
*Registered
2009 SLK300
33 Posts

·
*Registered
2008 SLK350
35 Posts
Which one?

It's also important to know where you have come from. I have the base Radio 20 to start with :)

I bought and installed myself the Erisin ER8740S 8-Core Android 10. 8-Core Android 10 after the original NTG 2.5 just stopped working. And no, there was no spillage from the cupholder, I found out. It just died. Happy with it? It is okay but I would not buy it again. I was looking for a radio which looked the closest like the original as well. At least it can talk with CAN Bus at least a tiny bit. I got told other (big) brands don't talk at all with CAN Bus?

·
*Registered
2005 SLK280
11 Posts
Hi all.
I took the plunge and got one from Aliexpress (6G+128G Android 11 Car Multimedia For Mercedes Benz SLK R171 W171 R171 SLK200 2004 2011 GPS Navigation Autoradio Carplay WIFI BT|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress ) £238, the only extra thing i had to buy was an aerial power inserter from Halfords, as i previously had a facelift unit, and it works great for me. Much better than i had before. View attachment 606225
Do you have your own installation photo's rather than the stock one? I am wanting to upgrade myself and thought I would go for the Erinson but if you can show me yours working that would be a clincher. Do you have reversing camera? I notice that you have to remove the cup holder too.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
6 Posts
Hi all, hope you are all keeping well.
I have installed a Android head unit in my 2007 R171 but the sound quality is very poor, it may be the head unit at fault, but is there a upgrade kit for the speakers or something else I have missed that I need to install.
Keep yourselves and others safe.
Malcolm.
Does this use the buttons on the steering wheel?

·
*Registered
2009 SLK300
33 Posts
Do you have your own installation photo's rather than the stock one? I am wanting to upgrade myself and thought I would go for the Erinson but if you can show me yours working that would be a clincher. Do you have reversing camera? I notice that you have to remove the cup holder too.
Sorry I don't have any installation pics ( I bought the unit after seeing it on other ppl threads, but all the pics on the link I posted are those that appear on my own unit, it's quite a large screen about 8" ins, great for sat nav, Spotify etc. Yes, I have a rear camera fitted (£8 fleabay) , again after following others Install, it's works automatically without any programming. Once I updated the software for the unit/ Cambus kit ( all included in the supplied kit) , the buttons on the steering wheel work as they should ( vol, Channel, track selection). Hope this helps

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350
17 Posts
Sorry I don't have any installation pics ( I bought the unit after seeing it on other ppl threads, but all the pics on the link I posted are those that appear on my own unit, it's quite a large screen about 8" ins, great for sat nav, Spotify etc. Yes, I have a rear camera fitted (£8 fleabay) , again after following others Install, it's works automatically without any programming. Once I updated the software for the unit/ Cambus kit ( all included in the supplied kit) , the buttons on the steering wheel work as they should ( vol, Channel, track selection). Hope this helps
I have a different unit that I like but it has a "removable" display that pivots and tilts, but I can't find a usb modem to work right with it.
Have you put a sim in the 4g dongle? It doesn't list what frequencies/bands it supports on the site. If you have put one in, what country/carrier are you on?
Did you say there is a canbus box included?
This unit is really tempting.
One more question, could you post a pic of the about system screen?

Thanks..
Bryan
Vehicle Speedometer Car Gear shift Automotive tire
Vehicle Gear shift Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
*Registered
2009 SLK300
33 Posts
I have a different unit that I like but it has a "removable" display that pivots and tilts, but I can't find a usb modem to work right with it.
Have you put a sim in the 4g dongle? It doesn't list what frequencies/bands it supports on the site. If you have put one in, what country/carrier are you on?
Did you say there is a canbus box included?
This unit is really tempting.
One more question, could you post a pic of the about system screen?

Thanks..
Bryan View attachment 606648 View attachment 606649

Hi ya .

I have not tried with a 4G sim in it yet (I use my phone as a wifi hotspot). Yes, Canbus box, and leads comes with the unit ( i had to do an update to the unit to get the controls on my 2009 facelift to work, may work straight away on older R171s). I might see if i have a sim that will fit in it for tomorrow, and also take some pics of various screens..

·
*Registered
2009 SLK300
33 Posts
Hands free all good. On the Steering wheel right side controls, Vol + & - are all good. On the controls on left side of wheel , i can change tracks / radio stations etc but it also cycles the options on the centre clocks display as well. Not tried to reprogamme settings yet

1 - 20 of 29 Posts