Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning it was a white CLK 320 Convertible with an AMG badge. A guy driving. Mid 50's. White golf cap on his head. Top down and windows up which just irks me when I see someone doing this. Just looks dumber than the fake AMG badge to me. He was also driving like a complete a-hole. Apparently desperate to convince everyone around him (or himself) that he really was driving an AMG.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This morning it was a white CLK 320 Convertible with an AMG badge. A guy driving. Mid 50's. White golf cap on his head. Top down and windows up which just irks me when I see someone doing this. Just looks dumber than the fake AMG badge to me. He was also driving like a complete a-hole. Apparently desperate to convince everyone around him (or himself) that he really was driving an AMG.
Gotta ask... Why does that irk you? Seems pretty standard in my area.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Guess I would really bend your fender, although I would never sport a fake badge. Top down and windows up works well for me when it is very cold and very hot (helps keep the heat and AC in the cockpit and on me were it belongs). Definitely extends the top down season. It also increases clarity of music and reduces buffeting at high speeds. I've never given much thought about the irksome nature of my behavior....sorry!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotta ask... Why does that irk you? Seems pretty standard in my area.
For some reason it just looks really dumb to me. Ruins the lines of any convertible I've ever seen. Especially roadsters.

Want some ventilation in the cabin? Keep the top up and roll the windows down.

Cold? Top up, windows up, and turn on the heater.

Want the open air driving experience? Want to feel connected to the world around you? Then keep the damned windows down ya big sissy. :D

Top down, windows up seems neither here nor there. Personal quirk. That's all.

Gotta love SmartTop for allowing override of the factory (windows up) default.

I'll be watching. :soap:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,884 Posts
Real men keep all the windows down. You got to hang your arm out to wave to the babes!!! or use hand signals to turn (who does that or even knows what they are anymore?)

For right side drivers:

For the rest of the normal world:

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Uh oh.........I drive top down window up probably 50% of the time! It works well for me for the same reasons Gregg stated. Plus, makes it a little quieter in the cock pit at high speeds. I'm guessing that windows up for me, has a lot to do with my attire and where I'm going as well. My hair is a little longer, so with top down I often wear a baseball style cap. When the cap comes off, the hair is still formed in the shape of the cap :D So, if I happen to be going to an affair or business meeting and I don't want to look as if I've been on the golf course playing hookie, it top down windows up all the way. But, if it's my day off and I'm just bumming around then everything's down.

Here in the bay area, top down windows up is normal, lots of people drive that way. It's a little cooler here, so I suspect that's also a reason why.

BTW, with wifey in the car it's alway's windows up cause even with the windstop, her hair flys around.

What irks me is when I get all irked up over things that aren't worth getting irked over :biglaugh: Now, posing and driving like an A$$ just to impress is a totally irkable offense!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And that is why my wife is not allowed in the SLK in good weather. If she is in the car and the top is down, the windows must be up. Something about long hair blah blah blah............Get a burqa woman.

You guys won't tell her I said that, right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
With these poor California roads I usually drive top down and windows up on the freeway. Don't want to mess up my handsome face :D with a chunk of asphalt kicked up from the truck next to me...

·
Registered 2012 SLK250-gone
1,209 Posts
Topless windows up requirement if:

You're taking a phone call through the car infotainment system (requirement for those individuals who are self employed)

You're talking to your passenger and neither of you can hear each other due to the wind noise

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
LOL - I'd be particular irksome, since I try not to drive with the top up. I don't think I've got Phil beat, but I've done 40F mornings a number of times - and I really don't see any point in driving 70+ on the motorway / interstate with the windows down if you want to have a conversation - but I'm getting old! :p

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Real men keep all the windows down. You got to hang your arm out to wave to the babes!!! or use hand signals to turn (who does that or even knows what they are anymore?)

For right side drivers:

For the rest of the normal world:

Just don't hang your arm down.....asphalt is really hard on the knuckles. :burnout:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Topless windows up requirement if:

You're taking a phone call through the car infotainment system (requirement for those individuals who are self employed)

You're talking to your passenger and neither of you can hear each other due to the wind noise
Ummm....yeah.....yacking on the phone. Don't get me started. But if you're trying to conduct business and you're serious about having a clear conversation forget about the windows, why is the top down?

Again, if you can't have a conversation with a passenger maybe you're in an environment where you'd be better off with the top up. For instance, I don't drive on interstates at 70+ mph with tractor trailers whizzing by with my top down. I'm not looking to be connected to that. The wind and noise are just not enjoyable at those speeds. On the highway, I'm buttoned up.

The top comes down on secondary roads. Goat paths are my favorite. That's where I want to be connected to the wind and trees and road. At those speeds a conversation is no problem. Even when you're sideways in a corner.

·
Registered 2012 SLK250-gone
1,209 Posts
It's a bit difficult to say what's right for someone or what's considered appropriate behavior without finding out the details of that person's business, private life, and reason for taking or making calls. There are many assumptions at this point regarding phone calls while driving with the top up or down. Most of these are from the person's own experience with the expectation that other people act the same way. If this were true we'd be a hive society and we females would have hundreds of males making us our food and hundreds of other females doing our shopping for us.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I generally prefer to keep the windows down, however if the drive includes higher speed roads and I need my hair to not look afright upon arrival at my destination I will put the windows up. I do think it looks a little funny, but so does my hair in 70+ wind!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.