Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the point of fitting my headers and have realised that there is no way that the primary cats can go in there.

How have you got round this? Are you using sports cats and secondaries? Are you just using the secondaries? Are you totally catless? Are there any emissions or M.O.T. test worries?

If you're using the secondaries I'll assume that there is no space for the x-pipes.

Just about to start work so unable to research fully right now :-(

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,151 Posts
Here is mine, no 1st cat...only 2nd cat, resonator, mufflers, etc
straight pipes, no x pipe

front old first then front new

old then new

Attachments

·
94,151 Posts
a few more......

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,264 Posts
I think that Andy ( @ZeroZero ) has headers and no primary cats, but does have x-pipe instead of centre resonator, and still has his original secondary cats in place.

I think that @Benzedup may also have a similar set-up on his SLK too.

I've tagged both, in the hope that they will respond to confirm, or add any other comments...

·
1,722 Posts
Hi All
Yes what he said .
Headers , no front cats , secondary cats , Xpipe , rest as standard & a friendly MOT bloke. . If your trying to keep it all above board I think your need two sets of cats or two very large cats . If you go for one large cat your look like Dr Evil.

Cheers

Andy

·
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect it may be a while before the headers go on (current finances mean everything has to be done piecemeal, the obvious downsides of this:

it can end up costing more in the long term
I'm impatient (as can be seen from the other headers thread)
there is a chance that bits 'n' bobs cobbled together may not actually work in conjunction with each other (leading us back to point 1)

That being said it is interesting!

Many thanks to @ZeroZero and @jbanks15 for putting up with numerous (dumb) questions and posting pix

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I have the Kleemann headers and down pipes (no primary cats)
Original secondary cats
X-piped res
Stock back boxes.

Interms of MOT, the secondary do just enough to pass it with no issues.

Here are some pictures of my setup, I hope that helps.

·
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for that there is now a good selection of pics I can show my garage to put their minds at rest (long standing friend is aware that this is my 'baby'!). Luckily the fit had to be put back 3 weeks so between you, zerozero & jbanks15 I should be ready for some extra noise lol (actually it'll be better than a blowing manifold

·
1,722 Posts
Hi All

Hey Benzedup you been taking pictures of my car , That looks just like mine. So it will pass MOT cheers .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Same setup a jbanks15 here (minus the blower), no problems with emissions testing. I know that doesn't help at all with the MOT inspection.

I swear I'm going to start stealing jbanks15 pictures and claiming it as my car. I mean the wheels are different and I'm down a blower, if you overlook the fact that his car is always pristine and mine is always filthy (just drove 15 miles in the pouring rain this morning), they're practically twins, lol.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Hi All

Hey Benzedup you been taking pictures of my car , That looks just like mine. So it will pass MOT cheers .

Cheers

Andy
Lol, where did you have yours installed?
Do you have the Wiestec tranismission oil cooler too?
Would be good to see some pictures mate.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I've just had mine done at SKG who were great. I still had my secondary Cats + X pipe. The plan if I hadn't was to fit sports Cats.
The change in performance is great and so is the noise. Fantastic mod.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do kleeman do short headers than enable you to keep the primary cats? Or do all the headers require the removal of the primary cats?

I'm un-modfied at the moment but would like a bit more power, albeit retaining a relatively quiet engine unless called for. Short headers I imagine would also be a breeze to fit if it matched up to current pipework unlike the longer which will require cutting / welding.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Do kleeman do short headers than enable you to keep the primary cats? Or do all the headers require the removal of the primary cats?

I'm un-modfied at the moment but would like a bit more power, albeit retaining a relatively quiet engine unless called for. Short headers I imagine would also be a breeze to fit if it matched up to current pipework unlike the longer which will require cutting / welding.
Don't think so. Eurocharged do some. I have considered them for ages but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Last time I looked Eurocharged UK may have ceased trading though.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
After a bit of research .... Eurocharged UK used to be in London, but I see Eurocharged UK on Facebook is now MSL in Birmingham.

Eurocharged main US site doesn't show the headers anymore, but I notice they are selling them on Amazon saying only stock of 9 left. May be they have stopped doing them and are selling the last few :surprise: Appear to be advertising them at $525 including postage to UK, about £500 with import duty. Hmm.

·
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the 'headers' I I had on the car when I bought it are AMS tubular manifold, they are better than the standard manifold but still lacking compared to long tubes. My understanding (very lacking!!) is that LT's do make more difference but the trade off is the are more:

difficult to fit
expensive
(potentially) noisy

Eurocharged US used to do some lovely shorties at a good price but I chickened out of getting them (they thought the headers should fit RHD but weren't sure. Were willing to do a free return if not and full cashback) - now they no longer appear on the website (might be worth contacting them to check there's not one set floating about)

·
1,722 Posts
Hi All

@Benzedup Mine was sort at MSL same as yours , no i have the normal cooling on the gearbox , check my sig for cold start video.

@Topaz Myself & Benzedup have thesame set up Kleemann headers , Long downpipe , no front cat , Xpipe & rear cats . you could keep the resonator box & not replace it with an xpipe that would low the noise level some what . I think that's JBanks setup . come along to a local meeting & your hear afew different versions we normaly have a minimum 3 or 4 55's turn up all with mods .

Cheers

Andy

·
94,151 Posts
Yup
I have supercharger also
But my configuration is
Headers
Down pipe
No front cat
Straight pipes
Rear cat
Resonators
:D

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I have Kleemann Headers, no resonator, 2ndary Cats and X pipe - sounds fantastic. If you've already got rid of the 2ndary Cats you can fit Kleemann sports Cats. SGK NEAR Crawley will do that - approx £500.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts