Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll need everyone's help and input, especially Tom's (Tslick), in terms of organization and route planning.

Is anyone interested in "getting together" on Sept. 1, Saturday, morning? I am open to place -- anyone know the exact name and place of the Mercedes Benz classic car center in Irvine? website?

I will also try to PM B55 for a special invite. If he can make it with his sidekick, it will be a special treat to see his different mods and vertical doors, etc.

Anyone has suggestions for a route to drive? How about a place to have coffee and snacks for mid-morning?

Edit (08/23/2007):
Date: September 1, 2007, Saturday morning, 8:00 am
Meet: Santa Anita Race Track, 285 W Huntington Drive, Arcadia, CA 91007
See Tslick's suggested route below, post #17.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
Irvine sounds great...

Anywhere to drive around? if not, how about we drive down to Azusa again? i've been itching to go back...Also, there are some places in the OC to drive around, maybe we could do that.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ortega Hwy is under moderate amount of construction and the drive along PCH is moderately mellow unless you want the scenery.

How about meeting somewhere near Santa Anita racetrack on Sept 1 Saturday morning, pictures and coffee, followed by a drive along Hwy 2? Is anyone familiar with Hwy 2?

·
3,048 Posts
If Hwy 2 is the drive, then i would suggest going all the way up to Mt Chilao, Roads are a little bit less twisty compared to Azusa Canyon, and a little bit wider, so should be good for breaking the car in. there definetely more of a police presence though, so we all need to take it easy there.

Santa Anita Racetrack is beautiful when empty, so it'll be a great photo spot. Onsite horse racing doesn't really start until December, so the lot will be mostly clear. Also, the local PD doesn't patrol there so as long as we are just taking pictures and chatting, we won't be hassled (but the police station is only 2 blocks away so no burnouts, racing etc...). Also, the starbucks is close by.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good.

Probable short drive afterwards. Awaiting further suggestions. Tslick, where are you? :)

Place name here if you can come:
etyu

·
3,048 Posts

Place name here if you can come:

#.)name, car

1.)etyu SLK55?
2.)cyberdrakon SLK55

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chantry Flats (Top of Santa Anita?) is very very narrow and lots of bicycle traffic. Also in spots it is only one lane due to fire damage.

Sept 1 is great I'm in.

Oscar.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Jo and I will be there -- will drive down Friday and book a motel --- we'll see if the nav can get us to the right location.
Come on people this is not AMG only thing this is to see Eddy's new car meet-up with friends have a little drive and some food

1.)etyu SLK55?
2.)cyberdrakon SLK55
3.)V8SLK SLK55
4.)Tslick SLK32 (probable)
5.)Cruzer8 SL550

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Getting together is the main thing

Jo and I will be there -- will drive down Friday and book a motel --- we'll see if the nav can get us to the right location.
Come on people this is not AMG only thing this is to see Eddy's new car meet-up with friends have a little drive and some food

1.)etyu SLK55?
2.)cyberdrakon SLK55
3.)V8SLK SLK55
4.)Tslick SLK32 (probable)
5.)Cruzer8 SL550
6.)320SLK
The main purpose is the "get together". I'm not quite sure if I'll have the 55 (the excuse). Most of all, Gene and Jo are spot on -- it is not about AMG, it's about the people and their SLK.

I would appreciate it if anyone who knows Highway 2 could map out a route or suggest another for the drive afterwards.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
on october 14, 1984 i was on that stretch of road on my new kawasaki ninja 900. it was a brisk sunday morning and the ride was beautiful... until i went head-on with a car. combined impact speed was just a little over 125 mph, not really too bad. i launched into the windshield, glanced upward, flew a, "few" feet and laned on solid ground. thank God that i did not go over the edge.

well the bike and the car were totaled. i shattered my right wrist, broke some of the cartlidge that connects the rib cage to the sternum and i broke 3 toes. all in all not too bad. i got my first helicopter ride, unfortunately, i was unconscious for it. i woke up in the hospital the next after reconstructive surgery on my wrist and went home the next day.

oh well, i guess it's time to go back and face that road again.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well we booked the motel in Glendale for Friday nite thru Sunday nite (motel phone # is (818) 240-1700 don't know the room # yet buts it is under my name.

Scott --- what memories of that road at least this time you are more experienced and will have 4 wheels under you, but no more helo rides back

1 - 20 of 48 Posts