Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've discussed smart motorways on the forum before. Looks like people are waking up to how bad they are:

BBC News - MP Sarah Champion calls for end of 'smart motorways'

It's also extremely worrying when you read statements like this:

"Yesterday, it came to light that the AA will no longer carry out roadside assistance on ALR motorways due to serious safety concerns. How bad does it have to get before the minister will act?"

(ALR refers to All Lane Running, for those who don't know)

Sent from my phone when my back was turned.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,416 Posts
Yep. They had a story on this recently.

My own accident would have been avoidable had there been a hard shoulder, despite numpty deciding to merge left whilst on the phone.

Replace it and speed cameras with cameras that calculate distance between vehicles.
Again, had numpty not been up the chuff of the vehicle in front of him in his lane.....

Never felt safe on ALRs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I thought they were making a shed load of money from speeding fines on smart motorways - if so they wont disappear unless there's a cheaper way to replace what they make. Truth is we all need to pay more taxes or implement Logan's Run society !!!!

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeff has finally sorted you, Martin.

Except....

We are in off topic! :p
AH. So we have a Licence to Wander in Off Topic!! Excellent! I may remember that for future reference Myk! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

And what do you mean 'finally'???

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
459 Posts
Two problems:

1. the frequent terminology of the inside lane as being the 'slow lane' and the outside lane as the 'fast' lane which some people seemingly interpret as 'if I am doing 50+ mph then I should not be using the inner lane.

2. drivers on 4 lane motorways travelling in lane 3 at 60 mph (normal limit 70mph). Drive round the M25 in Essex and you will find plenty of drivers doing this. It is illegal but there have been very few prosecutions.

The result is that the outer lanes are congested whilst the inner ones are not. Basically no need to turn the hard shoulder in to a running lane just impose better lane discipline and there is less need to convert motorways in to so called smart motorways with that prove to be not so smart when vehicles that breakdown having no safe refuge.

·
25,416 Posts
^ Thing is, other than nearside lane, the others are overtaking lanes.

Cruising lane 2 & worse, lane 3 whilst holding up traffic and inner lanes are free
just encourages undertaking.

We noticed that the M25 and Essex (A12?) were prevalent for both.

At times, it was like watching a poor mans Red Arrows display.
Especially when they slalomed into lane 3/4 and realised the off ramp was already on them.

And woe betide the effects of flashing headlights asking them to move.
You'd get a similar response if you'd throw rocks at them.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350 R171
791 Posts
Personally I think the uk should allow ’undertaking’ on motorways. I’m not talking about flying down the inside and jumping between lanes as that would still be covered by ‘dangerous driving’.
If the law was changed we’d double the capacity of our motorways!

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
525 Posts
Personally I think the uk should allow ’undertaking’ on motorways. I’m not talking about flying down the inside and jumping between lanes as that would still be covered by ‘dangerous driving’.
If the law was changed we’d double the capacity of our motorways!
Undertaking is allowed already, when the motorway is congested.

Define congested though!

There is also no specific offence of undertaking! It comes under careless or dangerouse driving, if deemed to be one or the other.

Generally if you undertake to keep up with the flow of traffice, then that is OK.

However if you undertake a "middle lane hogger" then that can be seen as careless driving!!!! Mind boggles:sick:

I would rather see enforcement of existing rules and get repeat offenders off the road.

If drivers thought there was even a slim chance of being caught, and prosecuted for bad driving, then I suspect standards would improve quickly.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG Mystic Blue
3,532 Posts
Undertaking is probably legal on the Motorway as it is legal all over the rest of the UK, otherwise we would have dead bodies everywhere.
Overtaking on the inside is also legal as long as you don't change lanes constantly.
While driving at the speed limit on the Motorway in lane 1 you start to catch someone in lane 3, what do you do? Just continue in lane 1, inside lane. At no point will you be expected to cross 3 lanes to overtake the Numpty.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
i like a bit of latin. Quis custodiet ipsos custodies... whatevva. What we need is a truly functional, numerous and visible police patrol presence. we don't have anything like it, as when we did have the understaffed one, it cost so much the accountants wet themselves. so they pared it down and down and down, to the point that I can't remember when i last saw cops on the motorway just patrolling. Sure , I've seen a few doing the blues and twos fandango, but good old-fashioned patrolling is worth its weight in gold. Show me the numpty who will misbehave with a jam or cheese butty up ahead or following behind. It all has a knock on effect. and if some numpty does make a mess of it, then a carefully modulated word in his shell-like from PC plod might just work on him. a picture and FPN in the post a few weeks later will just have him curse. Of course, you mustn't forget the spin-offs. It's amazing what plod can find in people's cars once given a good excuse to stop them.

·
3,532 Posts
The Code states: “In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right.

“In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right.

"Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.”

·
25,416 Posts
To me, it makes sense to undertake sensibly.

If a vehicle in lane 3 ignore the 'I am here' headlight flash a couple of times,
surely they should fall foul of due care and attention.
Especially when both 1 and 2 are empty and have been so for the last mile
and said vehicle is doing well under current posted limit.

We all make mistakes, but sometimes you wonder if folks ever held a license.

i like a bit of latin. Quis custodiet ipsos custodies... whatevva. What we need is a truly functional, numerous and visible police patrol presence. we don't have anything like it, as when we did have the understaffed one, it cost so much the accountants wet themselves. so they pared it down and down and down, to the point that I can't remember when i last saw cops on the motorway just patrolling. Sure , I've seen a few doing the blues and twos fandango, but good old-fashioned patrolling is worth its weight in gold. Show me the numpty who will misbehave with a jam or cheese butty up ahead or following behind. It all has a knock on effect. and if some numpty does make a mess of it, then a carefully modulated word in his shell-like from PC plod might just work on him. a picture and FPN in the post a few weeks later will just have him curse. Of course, you mustn't forget the spin-offs. It's amazing what plod can find in people's cars once given a good excuse to stop them.
Tends to be Highways Agency (or VOSA) rather than police these days.

·
3,532 Posts
I do 20 seconds, if i am not going to be in the next inner lane for around 20 seconds i stay where i am.
This also depends on the amount of traffic behind, obviously if the road is fairly empty I may stretch this or reduce it if busy and the vehicles behind will clear me before I will need to pull out to overtake.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts