1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
W212 E-class Twin turbo, yum such a great recipe for supercar disaster and now imagine that 570hp with all of the comfort, leather and quality you would expect of a mercedes.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Hhhmmm, maybe there won't be an SLK63 afterall...but instead an SLK55 TT! ;)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
it would actually fit! That would be pretty bad ass, turbos open up lots of doors for us modders.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
The SLK as a TT would be named the new widow maker. seriously hindered by the ESP or it's trying to spin it tail through every corner. I think once a car of this size is pushing 400Tq it's way over it's weight to make it faster.. Great for the straight sprinters amongst us though.

I'd prefer a lot of talk the same as I see on bikes, How to get the weight way down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Now this actually excites me. I just can't even begin to describe the possibilities! As Baron states so correctly.."This opens up doors for modders".

·
Registered
840 Posts
Well, turbos have been around for a long time, and they do offer the advantage of giving power when wanted and economy when not. Imagine, for example, the current MB 3.0 liter V6 engine (rated conservatively at 228 hp) with twin turbos and producing a max of 320 hp or so -- with little increase in weight. The same technology might get around 400 hp out of the current 3.5 liter engine.

And all this would give you the option of "granny driving" your car and getting the same mpg as the current SLK 280 and 350. There is no downside here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As Dolebludger says turbos have been around for a long time but IMHO it's a 'myth' that you get economy if you light foot them, even if you let grandma drive. The biggest problem with this sort of power in a light car will be putting it on the tarmac and I pose a question - if you had 570HP under your right foot would you ever drive like your granny?!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm new to the forum having just taken posession if my 55 and here are my commnets:

In the article there is no mention as to the increase in cost. Is current thinking MB will continue to use the 5.5 in the SLK or go to a turbo'd 4.0? I can imagine them going with a smaller displacement for fuel economy but turbo'd for performance.

I could imagine my hair being blown of from the sheer power, instead of giving us flowers and a windscreen they should give us a wig and some super glue.
Alroumi, I hear ya.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.