Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it's about that time of the year (well actually at least twice a year TBH) again where my mind gets to thinking that just about any decent car is better than what I have and I'm curious about straying.

I already know that for the foreseeable future my motoring has to include a V8 (this is 100% non-negotiable) so was just bumbling around various sites for ideas XK's were considered (not a fan of BMW's, great cars I know but just don't do it for me) and then it struck me the SLK AMG55. Mrs Waylander's best friend's son-in-law used to have one and I recall it sounded epic. Seems to tick a lot of boxes:

good performance (a little quicker off the mark than either my '05 Mustang was or my truck)
nice drive
hard top convertible (though must have airscarf)
looks good
sounds great (this is a very important part of the whole 'experience')

I'm just wondering what the downsides of ownership are. I suspect that having owned pony cars/muscle trucks motors for the last 15 odd years that the 'driving experience' or how 'civilised' it is won't be an issue though currently Mrs W does have a R172 250d, might it suffer in comparison to that (although that'll likely go if I do get the 55)?

Any thoughts?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,379 Posts

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
Regular maintainence, Super unleaded and a whiz round with Gummi Pfledge now and then and you're all set

Check out the buying guides and what to look out for posts, and stick to your g uns when you go to view - there are a few of these around now, and you can generally find one with the right options / colour combo. (though adding a few missing things isn't too tricky - there's lots of how-to's on here and the search function is your friend here)

I can't compare the 55 to the 250 172, though the ride will more than likely be firmer than the cars / trucks you've had in the past - more than made up for ny the sound and smiles though ...

·
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well a little more info I guess...

sound is a major issue for me - loved my S197 Mustang (after-market pipes) and my old Lightning (the new one although quicker isn't as much fun - in part I guess due to the relatively muted noise, though the supercharger does make life fun).

WRT the 250 I really like the interior and I'm a little concerned that the 171 would be a... little less pleasant?

Must haves would also be heated seats and air-scarf.

If I do end up getting one I'd be interested in finding out what can/can't be done modifications wise too....

By the by that mystic blue 55 looks amazing!

·
96,379 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,724 Posts
Hi All

On any new search for the next car it got to start with a V8 engine , That's what got me here all them years ago . I would say the only down side coming from your list of cars would be space & sitting position , you say you already have a SLK in the family so you should be use to the lower driving position ie pulling up to a stop sign & having a 4x4 along side you . If you go or a 171 or a 172 AMG the power to weight is about the same on the road (172 has the edge) ofc . It will be down to which a looks right for you . Mods : with the 171 I think you have more options at the moment , Headers & Supercharger etc . The one you may not understand is the MPG max 30mpg from a V8 , My average is about 21mpg & I do like to use all the gears >:D>:D>:D

Cheers

Andy

·
96,379 Posts
MPG? We don't need no miles per gallon! :D

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,559 Posts
If you use every day and travel a long way to work I would say a V8 in the UK may not be practical.
If it's a fun mobile for those nice days and fun trips get one.
I have had 35 to the gallon driving at 50mph on the motorway behind an old SL. Don't forget Jeff will get less to the gallon as the US gallon is slightly smaller.
I average around 24 but someone I know (Phil) can get down to 14.
172's are more comfy, but at the moment £10000- £20000 more expensive.
That's a lot of petrol around 150 to 300 Tank fulls.

·
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All

On any new search for the next car it got to start with a V8 engine , That's what got me here all them years ago . I would say the only down side coming from your list of cars would be space & sitting position , you say you already have a SLK in the family so you should be use to the lower driving position ie pulling up to a stop sign & having a 4x4 along side you . If you go or a 171 or a 172 AMG the power to weight is about the same on the road (172 has the edge) ofc . It will be down to which a looks right for you . Mods : with the 171 I think you have more options at the moment , Headers & Supercharger etc . The one you may not understand is the MPG max 30mpg from a V8 , My average is about 21mpg & I do like to use all the gears >:D>:D>:D

Cheers

Andy

wwweellllllllll The Lightning is averaging 15mpg and the S197 was averaging 22/23 (both Imperial rather than US). My SS Camaro was a bit better with mid-30's achievable on a run so I rather suspect that a 55 wouldn't be too much of a shock :grin:

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Be prepared for anew set of rear tires almost every 12-14 months, dependent upon your driving habits.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,724 Posts
Hi All

@waylander I was meaning the MPG in a good way .

Cheers

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Check out some adds on the net - pick one out for a test drive - and the rest is history - life is simple, make decisions and never look back. :nerd:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.