Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SLK55's M113 E55 engine has a whine or whistle that my R500's M113 E50 engine completely lacks. The two engines are basically fundamentally the same design except the M113 E55 is stroked for another half liter of displacement.....and that damned whine.

It sounds like a turbo spooling up or the supercharger on my SLK32.....only this engine doesn't have either of those things!

It's definitely speed dependent. Below 2,000 rpm it's livable. Above 2,000 rpm it gets downright annoying. I think it's one or more of the accessory pulleys. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Any idea which pulley is the culprit and what the fix is? Replacement of the power steering pump, etc? Or can a bearing simply be greased? Belt wear? Belt tension?

Still puzzled that my M113 E50 doesn't exhibit any hint of this. It's silent.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
I had it diagnosed as power steering pump last year. Replaced it with a new unit and the sound remained. My service advisor says a lot of AMGs sound the same. The local MBCA region president has an '07 SLK55 with only 18k miles and it makes the exact same noise as mine with 44k miles.

Nothing to worry about I'd say. I've gotten used to it and don't even notice it unless someone reminds me.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,118 Posts

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Don't think that's the same issue Jeff. This noise isn't a squeak, chirp, nor does it go away when the belts warm up.

Maybe CT_SLK can make a quick video so we're both sure though?

·
94,118 Posts
I just threw it on the wall like spaghetti Mark.
Some call it squeak, squeal, whistle, whine.
Since OP has only been around 3 months, he might not have come across it.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
He described it as a supercharger-like whine. My friends said the same thing when they first heard the car when I got the AMG. It's a low whine that speeds up when the motor revs up.

I had an indy shop diagnose it with a stethoscope and right away he found that it was the power steering pump making the noise. There was no leak and the pump seemed fine. He told me not to worry about it and leave it alone. I was paranoid, so I took it to the dealer and had them look at it too. They also diagnosed it as power steering pump and my service advisor said that he wished he had another M113 E55 around so that I could hear it because he felt the noise was familiar but wasn't sure if mine was louder or not.

I had it replaced with a new pump anyway... but the sound remained. A few days later, I compared it to the other '07 SLK55 with 18k miles I mentioned and mine sounded exactly the same as his. More than a year later and the car makes the same noise, but I've gotten used to it. No difference in feel or sound.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I have the same "Whine" and assumed Tensioner or Power Steering related. No issues or problems other than "Whine" during idle but exhaust roar usually mutes it....

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had it diagnosed as power steering pump last year. Replaced it with a new unit and the sound remained. My service advisor says a lot of AMGs sound the same. The local MBCA region president has an '07 SLK55 with only 18k miles and it makes the exact same noise as mine with 44k miles.

Nothing to worry about I'd say. I've gotten used to it and don't even notice it unless someone reminds me.
Thanks, at least I know not to waste money on the PS pump. I wonder if these bearings can be greased. The whistle drives me nuts from 2-3,000 rpm. At WOT the exhaust masks it. And the audio system even at low volume will mask it too. But I wanna listen to my engine not some damned flute or the latest Justin Bieber pablum. I may pull the belt and pulley if it comes off and see what I can do to that bearing. If it won't pop off and I can't get the bearing out, maybe some graphite would quiet it down. I'd be willing to put graphite in once a week to get rid of that whistle.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Or just make your car louder :D

Seriously though, I don't notice mine as much anymore, but that could be because I've since installed a custom x-pipe and deleted the secondary cats. Any amount of throttle might be masking it for me. I do hear it at idle and at parking lot speeds though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Seems like the 'whistle' kicked in on my car last week. It literally sounds as if the car has a supercharger. I pulled it in to my mechanic and his first question was "did you put a supercharger on your car?" lol. He diagnosed it to be one of the pulleys and will get back at me with a quote. The whine does get annoying, but I had my resonator removed last Friday and I don't notice it as much.

·
94,118 Posts
Seems like the 'whistle' kicked in on my car last week. It literally sounds as if the car has a supercharger. I pulled it in to my mechanic and his first question was "did you put a supercharger on your car?" lol. He diagnosed it to be one of the pulleys and will get back at me with a quote. The whine does get annoying, but I had my resonator removed last Friday and I don't notice it as much.
ahem....pay the man please....

I always say vbelt or vbelt pulley or tensioner

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-gen...my-squeak.html

·
94,118 Posts
I know. been there and done that if you've read my thread

·
94,118 Posts
Yay!!!!!! silence is golden!

·