Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The silver finish on my AMG wheels is peeling off. Feels like a metal plating, but I suppose it could be paint. Metal underneath is not damaged pitted, or corroded. What is my best bet here to refinish them? I'm considering going satin black finish, but I want the metal surface to look good with whatever color I finish it in without further peeling.

Anyone know what kind of coating it is?

See image.

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,947 Posts

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,555 Posts
I would say that they have been over sprayed at some point and now that is peeling off?
As Jeff says take them to a decent place that will vapour blast them and get rid of all the old paint.
I would stick with silver myself or a light grey metallic.

·
Registered 2015 SLK55 AMG
99 Posts
I had some minor flaking on the AMG wheels that I had on my 2012 SLK 350. My Mercedes dealer told me the wheels were painted silver and then covered with a clear coat. I have seen similar AMG wheels that were completely refinished and they looked brand new. I cleaned the silver AMG wheels with water and detailer, and then I waxed them with Meguiar’s Ultimate Quick Wax or Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid wax. I use the same products when I clean and wax the black AMG wheels on my 2015 SLK55. The Ultimate waxes works great on black wheels because they are based on some kind of polymer technology and they do not leave white residue on black paint or black plastic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts