Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
992 Posts
Open heart surgery makes me queasy.

Seriously though, I wonder if the hand assembly has any advantages over robots? I put this question to Rob at Mercedes World on our tour, and his answer was predictably diplomatic - AMG engines have an exceptionally good reliability record under extreme conditions and are expected to cover large mileage without major failures. Fair enough, but isn't that due to design and materials rather than assembly? Perhaps they don't produce enough of each model to justify the investment of a fully automated plant.

Answers on a postcard please...

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
1965 I worked for Murphy Diesel Engine in Milwaukee, WI. Assembled engines from bare crank cases to the point where each was test run.

6" bore 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Seriously though, I wonder if the hand assembly has any advantages over robots?
This has been going round in my head for a long time now. On the AMG PL forum, people regularly post thanking their engine builder for making a strong engine as though they had some kind of pivotal role in the engine being strong.

I've always assumed it was basically just assembling a kit, and the video pretty much confirms that - so I'm not really sure what margins for error there are with trained professionals, a parts kit and automated elements like torquing and gasketing.

·
Banned
992 Posts
This has been going round in my head for a long time now. On the AMG PL forum, people regularly post thanking their engine builder for making a strong engine as though they had some kind of pivotal role in the engine being strong.

I've always assumed it was basically just assembling a kit, and the video pretty much confirms that - so I'm not really sure what margins for error there are with trained professionals, a parts kit and automated elements like torquing and gasketing.
Maybe the fact that each component is eyeballed, to weed out assembling a 'lemon', but with modern 'sortex'-type equipment, I think I'm clutching at straws. I deduce it has to be an economic issue - command a premium for the little signature badge and avoiding the investment required to automate relatively small runs of engines.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,722 Posts
Hi all

I would say the answer is in the quality control from raw material to finished engine & but also the base materials used for each & every item of the engine . As they say "Crap in Crap out" , Quality in Quality out .

Cheers

Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts