Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a call from the local dealer a couple days back to see if I was interested in attending. It's a day and a half affair at a track near Dallas using a cross selection of AMG vechicles and AMG staff from Germany, along with a local driving school for track instruction. Will be a full day of track fun with all expenses (hotel, meals, local ground transportation, etc.) except airfare picked up by MB Canada - thank you MB Canada! Apparantly this is a new initiative and due to it's late approval from corporate MB, it was too late to book a Canadian track and still leave at least some reasonable lead time for people to sign on. So Dallas it is, and I'm attending on Nov 13th/14 (dates are from Nov 11 to the 14th) along with my daughter who'll pry herself away from univ. for a couple days *L*. She's the only other member of my family who also has the bug for cars.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Very Nice!! Wish MBUSA would something like this. Looking forward to stories and piccies.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought these were a regular thing in the U.S. Eddy?!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Sad to say, everything is out-of-pocket.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bill

That is so cool! How did you get on the list?

What's up with my dealer? My number hasn't changed.

Take lots of pics and we all expect a detailed report.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The local dealer called me about the event Joe. Apparantly it's open to all current, or prospective, AMG owners on a first come first served basis - give 'em a shout!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW...where to begin! Just got back home this morning, took some extra time in the Dallas area to do a little sightseeing with my daughter, and I'm flat out beat! *L* Travelling from/to Newfoundland is an adventure in itself - almost didn't make it to Dallas at all, but that's a whole other story. Suffice it to say we did make it though, and with some great help from the MB folks on scene we didn't miss a lick of track time. But that was just one small part of what ends the organizers went to, to make this the awesome event it was and it seems no expense was spared to made sure everyone had a great time! So hats off to the event organizers and course instructors! My poor memory isn't good enough to name you all, but a hearfelt thanks for the wonderful treatment my daughter and I were shown, and for the absolutely amazing time we had driving all these fabulous cars flat out around a great race track for a full day of driving excitment!!!
I have a ton of pics, and a few vids, which I'll try and upload a few over the next day or so. Here's a couple quickies...
Life is rough!

A great lunch at the track with some new friends...

Then deciding which one to pound on next *L*

My daughter Michelle had a blast!

Best memory of the event...final lap session of the day, ended up behind Michelle - she in an SL63, me in an E63. She'd started out a bit tentative, but by this time of the day we were all feeling a lot more comfortable on track (a bit daunting for sure for road course beginners like us) and speeds had started climbing. So from basically just driving around the course, she was now out there driving the bejeezus out of someone else's 180G car - standing on the brakes into a corner, and sliding it under power out of the turns before nailing it full throttle down the straits...and I couldn't catch her LOL!!! Brought a smile to my face and a memory of a lifetime! Thanks you again Mercedes Benz Canada and AMG for bringing us this wonderfully organized event and for allowing moments like this that will be cherised for a lifetime.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
P.S.

A vid of a couple laps where the instructors took us on in ones and twos for a final blast around the track at "full speed". My apologies in advance for the poor vid quality as I was simply trying to hang on...in a C63 of course :y

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Great stuff Bill!!!!! Wow, the presense of mind to put the sunvisor down at speed!:rb Of course I'm absolutely green with envy!!:) Now I really need to look into the Road Atlanta driving course. Once again congrats. But, no pics of you?:butt: JK.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great stuff Bill!!!!! Wow, the presense of mind to put the sunvisor down at speed!:rb Of course I'm absolutely green with envy!!:) Now I really need to look into the Road Atlanta driving course. Once again congrats. But, no pics of you?:butt: JK.
I avoid cameras like the plague David LOL...but here's one snapped while doing a quick car swap, not enough time to remove helmets...there's probably one or two more kicking around *L*

Glad you enjoyed it Bill, this occasion will be not forgotten I hope. The SL63 is bloody fast, I had to test drive one the other day, I was very amazed.
Memories for a lifetime Mohammed! The SL63 is an amazing car, I can't imagine what an SL65 Black must be like.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad to see both of you had a blast... How's tracking your future ride?

By the way, AMG track events cost $1200.
Tracking the future ride will be a problem...there are no tracks here. :confused: As for the cost, it - as well as hotels and meals, were all absorbed by MB Canada :tu:

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Awesome pictures, and looks like an awesome day! While it's on a complete different level, but still involves noise and speed, here's one from our day! ;-)

(fortunately, they didn't expect her to drive!)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome pictures, and looks like an awesome day! While it's on a complete different level, but still involves noise and speed, here's one from our day! ;-)

(fortunately, they didn't expect her to drive!)
Now THAT looks like a great day too! You can never have too much noise and speed LOL!

I meant this or another C63... R)
Oops, my bad...I still have my head fixed around how I'm going to be able to do this kind of thing again *L*.

Of all the cars there, the SL63 was definitely my favourite - for the whole package not just speed, it's stock exhaust sound alone was intoxicating, even better than the C. But the C63 was definitely second. Now again this was my first time doing this so impressions are FWIW *L*, but the C felt noticely more comfortable doing this track thing than any of the others, with the exception of the SL. Now I know the SL is a heavy car too, but at speed that fact didn't seem to raise it's head the same way it did in the large sedans. The CL and CLS felt like the big cars they are - very capable still no doubt, but even to my untrained seat of the pants, they wallowed and heaved their away around the track more than carving it up. Even the E63 seemed no where near as comfortable playing this game as the C63. The SLK55 I felt most comfortable with at first due to familiarity if nothing else, but it was noticeably down on power compared to the C. The C63 - it's size, power, steering, handling...it all just felt "right", in this setting anway.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And a couple short clips....

Cars inbound to staging area for lunch:

Leaving staging area...

C63 chasing a couple SLK's...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts