Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, i have a 05 200 kompressor, bought with std suspensions i then istalled: b12 bilstein kit, front strut bar anche camber bolts, so whats left? sway bars

so far the handling impoved a lot but the car keep understeering and rolling a bit so I just bought an amg 55 rear sway, what should i expect from it?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I would expect that your rear roll stiffness will increase substantially and might upset the balance of the car a bit since you're not using an AMG 55 front bar as well. The rear will want to take a set while the front is still trying to transfer weight to the inside wheel since the bars are not sized to work together. I've got the Bilstein B12 set as well; but stock 16s, stock roll bars, and no strut bar. The amount of body roll is miniscule in my car, and having autocrossed many cars over eighteen years I can assure you I've seen plenty of body roll. Understeer? You're likely never going to completely dial that out. My car doesn't have much at all; it's very neutral. If you're trying to hang the tail out and drift, then by that standard these cars understeer. But though that is big, lurid fun it certainly isn't the fastest way around a corner. Not to mention brutal on tires. I'd get a hold of an AMG front bar and do them together since that's how they were designed to operate.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 55 v8 weight probably twice than my 4 pot hence the stress on the front I assume will be less. Also my thought is that if I stiffen both axle at the same rate, the car's balance (under/oversteer) wouldn't change much. I want the car to oversteer more

I'll get the bar installed tomorrow so I'll know it soon :D

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
You might induce more oversteer with a stiffer rear bar. But the more effective way of inducing more oversteer is more motor. Upgrade to a V6 and you'll instantly get more oversteer. Either way, good luck. Handling is one of those subjective things; I don't go in much for oversteer myself since my experience is with SCCA autocross. If either end of the car is sliding, you are losing time in a sport where a few hundredths of a second (or less) will separate a class winner from second place. So I tend to favor neutral handling with sharp turn-in response and rapid weight transfer, and gearing that provides good throttle response without inducing wheelspin. I still steer with the throttle, but I do it by using it to shift weight aft to make the steering more responsive, not to slide the car sideways rally- or drift-style. Again, that style is optimal for autocross and it rewards smoothness of control input with fast times and no cone penalties.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
installed and then tested

i also measured the two items, std bar is 18mm thick, the amg is 20mm

my personal feedback is that the whole handling improved. the car enters corners a bit faster and the whole body roll less. the front/rear axle balance changed a bit as i hoped, now the car oversteer a bit more...but not much

my two cents is to seek for a thicker sway than the amg, ideally a 22mm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts