Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering lately why the slk55 uses the hand built AMG 5.5L 24v motor which only puts out 355 hp/376 tq, when the plain vanilla non-AMG 5.5 L 32v motors puts out more power (around 380 hp/391 tq).

I love the slk55 cars, but shouldn't the AMG 55 be putting out more power (ignoring the black serires) with the hand built AMG motor.

Are there advantages to the AMG motor like lighter weight, durability, etc. Or is it that the 32v motor just doesn't fit in the SLK.

Just seems odd to me that now that the non-AMG V8 put out bigger numbers the AMG V8 in our cars?

Probably a dumb question, but I've put on my flame retardant suit......

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
That new engine is well... new. The SLK55 has a older engine. At least we have benefitted from years of development. Trust me. I owned one of the first SLK350 in '05. As a new engine, I suffered bad oil consumption. After a buyback, I got the 55. It might be old 3V technology, but it's still a performer.

·
Registered
303 Posts
While a few more hp might be nice, my experience on the track is that the motor puts out plenty of hp, it is the fact that the AMG handles so well that makes up the difference. Of course, good driving skills adds to the hp also.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not to belabor the obvious, but the non AMG motor is able to breathe a little easier (4 valves per cyl vs our 55's 3 valves). That's going to make a distinct difference.

·
Registered
467 Posts
my experience on the track is that the motor puts out plenty of hp, it is the fact that the AMG handles so well that makes up the difference.
No intention of a thread hijack but i'm new to the forum here and can't send PM's yet.

What kind of track do you run on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.