Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even Yahoo! agreed on this one...

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/mercedes-slc43-amg-flavor-isnt-152859907.html

So, as I suspected, that MASS PRODUCED engine is pulled straight out of a C450 AMG Sport and inserted in the new SLC 43.

If you buy this car, do you not automatically become a poser? How can a car wear that badge WITHOUT a hand-built engine? It's a sad day in Affalterbach.

·
Registered
905 Posts
OMG ...this again(no disrespect meant to rotorcraft)....how many threads now? same old story, It is an AMG....it isn't an AMG...it is...no it isn't...no it is...no it isn't ...it is..no its not...it really is....Tobias said so..so it is...no it's not...MB says it is, so it is..end of:wink:

You gotta laugh:grin:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,192 Posts
Now you did it. I had just put Chelzee down for his nap and now you have him all riled up again!

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is unsettling that we pay a boatload of cash for our REAL AMG vehicles, and the company that espoused this "One Man, One Engine" philosophy is completely taking a 180 and now putting mass produced engines in what they are trying to pass off as a real AMG. This is confusing to consumers as well as owners before all this nonsense took place.

From the beginning, the "One Man, One Engine" philosophy has guided AMG's approach to manufacturing. Even now, every AMG engine is hand built from start to finish by one of about 50 AMG Master Engine Builders in a special facility. As the final step in the assembly process, the engine-maker affixes a plaque engraved with his signature to the engine cover. It's an enduring reminder that even the heart of a Mercedes-AMG has a soul.

VERY CONFUSING! I remember when that used to be their guiding principle.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
yeppers

It is unsettling that we pay a boatload of cash for our REAL AMG vehicles, and the company that espoused this "One Man, One Engine" philosophy is completely taking a 180 and now putting mass produced engines in what they are trying to pass off as a real AMG. This is confusing to consumers as well as owners before all this nonsense took place.

From the beginning, the "One Man, One Engine" philosophy has guided AMG's approach to manufacturing. Even now, every AMG engine is hand built from start to finish by one of about 50 AMG Master Engine Builders in a special facility. As the final step in the assembly process, the engine-maker affixes a plaque engraved with his signature to the engine cover. It's an enduring reminder that even the heart of a Mercedes-AMG has a soul.[/
VERY CONFUSING! I remember when that used to be their guiding principle.

totally agree...cheapens the brand/concept.....maybe it'll make mine more valuable though!!!...I dont have to say I coulda had a V8-cause I DO!!!!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
totally agree...cheapens the brand/concept.....maybe it'll make mine more valuable though!!!...I dont have to say I coulda had a V8-cause I DO!!!!!
Every article I have read on this car so far have all criticized the engine and the fact that MB have diluted the AMG brand. Same goes for the C43.

At some point, I am sure they will stick the V8 bi-turbo in there when they upgrade the chassis and they will dampened it down so it doesn't clash with the SL 63. Currently the same chassis as the 172 is being used as is much of the interior design....it's coming...I will guess around 2018 /19 when MB will supposedly go soft-top on the SL and SLK to save weight.......well you never know....here's hoping.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
From the beginning, the "One Man, One Engine" philosophy has guided AMG's approach to manufacturing. Even now, every AMG engine is hand built from start to finish by one of about 50 AMG Master Engine Builders in a special facility. As the final step in the assembly process, the engine-maker affixes a plaque engraved with his signature to the engine cover. It's an enduring reminder that even the heart of a Mercedes-AMG has a soul.
AMG is a victim of its own marketing nonsense. The initial AMGs were absolutely ordinary mass-produced cars with tweaked engines and suspension. Like Brabus today. The tweaking got to boring and stroking which meant disassembling an existing engine, which wasn't cost-effective, so they started buying in the engines in bits and hand-assembling them with bigger Pistons bought in from Mahle.

Even on the hand-assembled engines, of late the assembly units have got bigger because the badged engines have to be assembled faster and faster to keep up with demand for the 2.0 versions. On our car, Dieter Boch (might be Bach, kids squiggle isn't that clear) didn't bore out the block, or attend the foundry while the con-rods were forged. he didn't make the engine, he put it together from a kit. Then they shipped it to Bremen and dropped it into my otherwise completely bog-standard SLK shell, slapped some V8 badges on the sides.

It's all just marketing and if Rotorcraft or anyone else has been deluded by that marketing then the cheque is firmly in the post....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is it only me who doesn't get the hostility towards the 43 amg ? 55 owners should be rejoicing , the new inferior model has just sealed the value of the 55 , as long as you polish it every week and keep the miles down , you lot should be sending letters of thanks to Mercedes for the guaranteed exclusivity .
I'll be at the nurburg ring 12th of August for a couple of public sessions in my 43 should any 55 owners wish to come along to see how inferior a 43 is by direct comparison !

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Two reasons to remain pissed...
We spent extra money to get an AMG, and now the brand is diluting itself so our brand value is going down.
We wanted to buy a brand new AMG SLK, sometime in the future, and now there's no point.

·
Banned
974 Posts

The very personification of pretentious flannel. Wow! an engraved plaque is "an enduing reminder blah blah blah" or "Master Engine Builders", how patronising can you get? It's the 2016 not 1916 & computers & robots can do the job just as well, but the image doesn't sell cars at an enhanced unnecessary costly price point.
Maybe just maybe in the days of the British Aston Martin & the like this sort of cobblers was acceptable & worthy.
Marketing b....t intended to massage ego's nothing more nothing less.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
The very personification of pretentious flannel. Wow! an engraved plaque is "an enduing reminder blah blah blah" or "Master Engine Builders", how patronising can you get?
No doubt a machine is more precise. It's the exclusivity and personal responsibility involved with having a hand built engine that we pay more for.
You could say the same about watches, why do people spend so much on mechanical watches when a $10 digital watch is more accurate?
The market for cheap watches has plummeted now that everyone check's the time on their phone, at the same time the luxury watch market is as strong as ever.

Why did you buy a Mercedes? The Mazda Miata is cheaper to run and drive and arguably performs better than a 250. Comfort? Lexus is much more comfortable and cheaper too! It sure isn't reliability because Hyundai is beating MB by a fair margin these days.

Marketing b....t intended to massage ego's nothing more nothing less.
It's funny that you put "2012 SLK 250 AMG Ltd edition 125" to describe your car. Hard to imagine what's 'Ltd' about a trim kit, except maybe the plaque that the marketing team thought up.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it could be some of that "pretentious flannel" he spoke of. :grin:

It's funny that you put "2012 SLK 250 AMG Ltd edition 125" to describe your car. Hard to imagine what's 'Ltd' about a trim kit, except maybe the plaque that the marketing team thought up.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Two reasons to remain pissed...
We spent extra money to get an AMG, and now the brand is diluting itself so our brand value is going down.
We wanted to buy a brand new AMG SLK, sometime in the future, and now there's no point.
I don't follow how what you bought is devalued by a car that wasn't made at the time you bought it. I'd have thought you'd be more unhappy about the "AMG-line" models.

As for what you buy in the future, a rose is a rose, no matter what it's called. If you don't want a faster, more economical, cheaper, car than the one you have, because the new one doesn't have a particular sticker in the engine bay, then you go right on by.

For myself, I think it will be a great car, certainly a more practical car than our 55 and I can't see any reason not to replace our leased 55 with a 43 in August 2017. What replaces my CDi250 is a much harder decision.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
I don't follow how what you bought is devalued by a car that wasn't made at the time you bought it. I'd have thought you'd be more unhappy about the "AMG-line" models.
I said "Brand value". The AMG 'brand' is being devalued across the board by including non-AMG engined cars into the AMG category. It's like if all the Toyota's started being badged as Lexus, then the Lexus brand would lose value.
And yes, I'm very annoyed with the 'AMG-line' models as well, but they are all being folded into official AMG models now.

because the new one doesn't have a particular sticker in the engine bay, then you go right on by.
It's missing an AMG engine, not missing a sticker. When I bought my SLK 55, economy was the last thing on my mind. If I wanted cheaper and more economical car I would have bought a Z4 or Miata.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I said "Brand value". The AMG 'brand' is being devalued across the board by including non-AMG engined cars into the AMG category. It's like if all the Toyota's started being badged as Lexus, then the Lexus brand would lose value.
And yes, I'm very annoyed with the 'AMG-line' models as well, but they are all being folded into official AMG models now.

It's missing an AMG engine, not missing a sticker. When I bought my SLK 55, economy was the last thing on my mind. If I wanted cheaper and more economical car I would have bought a Z4 or Miata.
It's not missing an AMG engine though, it's not hand assembled, but it is an AMG only engine. It's not used in any non-AMG cars.

You're obviously heavily invested in the AMG thing, which is a shame, because Mercedes marketing people have really FUBAR'd the previous marketing message. If you can't move on then you're stuck with what you have.

I really don't see what you're upset about other than the new one isn't just like the old one. In which case you may as well stick with what you have. So that's all right then.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
It's not missing an AMG engine though, it's not hand assembled, but it is an AMG only engine. It's not used in any non-AMG cars.
It's a detuned version of the C450 and GLE 450 engine, which was only just accepted as AMG engines.

You're obviously heavily invested in the AMG thing, which is a shame, because Mercedes marketing people have really FUBAR'd the previous marketing message. If you can't move on then you're stuck with what you have.
I am vested in AMG since I've bought 3 AMGs in row (pre-merger AMG, first post-merger AMG, and Chrysler-era AMG), but the first thing I do is debadge all of my cars.

I really don't see what you're upset about other than the new one isn't just like the old one. In which case you may as well stick with what you have. So that's all right then.
I'm upset that the new one isn't better so there isn't something to aspire to.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts