Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
very nice but would be out if my range.
That's why I lease. I couldn't realistically put £50,000 into something I only drive for 250 hours per year.

My Merc agent is quoting £475/month for an SLC 43 over 2 years/20,000 miles but he reckons that will drop once the novelty of the SLC drops away and Merc want to drive a bit of volume. The 43 will not be a 'Boutique' line car like the 55 was so dealers will be ordering stock cars as well as demonstrators and that will drive discounts. Which is great for us.

Plus the base spec of the 43 is more sensible than the 55 so things I don't really want like electric seats and COMAND are options but the LSD, Airscarf and auto wipers are standard.

I love our 55 but realistically I think the 43 will suit our needs better.

·
*Registered
SLK Disposed of
310 Posts
That's why I lease. I couldn't realistically put £50,000 into something I only drive for 250 hours per year.

My Merc agent is quoting £475/month for an SLC 43 over 2 years/20,000 miles but he reckons that will drop once the novelty of the SLC drops away and Merc want to drive a bit of volume. The 43 will not be a 'Boutique' line car like the 55 was so dealers will be ordering stock cars as well as demonstrators and that will drive discounts. Which is great for us.

Plus the base spec of the 43 is more sensible than the 55 so things I don't really want like electric seats and COMAND are options but the LSD, Airscarf and auto wipers are standard.

One day may be when I retire (only 6 years) I don't know much about the slk amg you would know far more than me, so I am sure you would make the right decision. If you do get one at some point it would be great for a comparison between the two.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
391 Posts

What kind of deposit do they want?

·
Banned
973 Posts
OK the guy is struggling with language but it's a bit amateur. Didn't know how to describe those horrid plastic side vents & banal comments about the wind deflectors which we have seen before & I gather are ineffective. Apparently owners must plan to have the steering wheel recovered at some time!
Don't understand why there is a sharks fin aerial on the boot lid, surely the world has moved on from such clumsiness?
The real concern is that a bright red convertible with a diamanté grille will become the darling of the pretty people & Californian boulevard cruisers. Whether male or female belting up the M1 or trundling around any UK city you're certainly going to stick out as a bit of a twerp.
In less tarty trim & more sombre colour then it could look angry & properly serious. Then add a proper noisy exhaust ..................:wink:

·
Registered
500 Posts
The real concern is that a bright red convertible with a diamanté grille will become the darling of the pretty people & Californian boulevard cruisers. Whether male or female belting up the M1 or trundling around any UK city you're certainly going to stick out as a bit of a twerp.
In less tarty trim & more sombre colour then it could look angry & properly serious. Then add a proper noisy exhaust ..................:wink:
Right on cue arrives a trisexual "bit of a twerp" in support of bright red convertibles with diamanté grilles, perhaps minus the posey "proper noisy exhaust"... taste is very subjective thing, don't you think? >:D

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Didn't know how to describe those horrid plastic side vents
Aren't they the same as the current ones?

oldmercman said:
Don't understand why there is a sharks fin aerial on the boot lid, surely the world has moved on from such clumsiness?
Sirius XM radio requires the antenna. I believe it's a satellite based system.

oldmercman said:
I was 50:50 before but I have to be honest, you sold me! Twerpville here I come!

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
902 Posts
Sirius XM radio requires the antenna. I believe it's a satellite based system.
That is what I thought. Satellite downlinks use a much higher frequency range than terrestrial and consequently require a different antenna design.

I will be honest. The new model doesnt do anything for me. New car models never did anything for me. I am one of them buyers that either loves or hates a particular model when I see it on the lot. I liked the R172 models and signed into the forum almost a year ago with a -350. It was the Sarge who convinced me to try a -55 AMG. I havent looked back since!

Reactions: CHELZEE

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
..... It was the Sarge who convinced me to try a -55 AMG. I havent looked back since!
I am not sure if this influence is "good" :grin::grin: or "bad".>:D>:D

Reactions: cnovack

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
902 Posts
I am not sure if this influence is "good" :grin::grin: or "bad".>:D>:D
Suggesting I test drive a -55 was very good. Trying to keep up with his mods (or tshatshkes as we used to call them in New York ) was very bad! :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered--sold my 2014 SLK55 AMG
513 Posts
Didn't watch the video but I saw the car on Saturday in Geneva. There was only one SLC on display but you could find 3 or 4 new E-class cars, which shows that SLC is not very important car for Mercedes. There was also C-Class cabrio which was more popular with visitors.

A few photos, sorry for the quality but it's difficult to take any decent photos with crowds around.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice pics, Penelope. I do like the new back-end; and am noticing those vertical silver perforated doo-dads for the first time. Not sold on the front-end. I prefer the blacked-out lower cross-support and business-like LED strip/fogs on the SLK55. I suspect if you're not a big fan of the original R172 then the re-treatment won't make a convert of you. On a random note, the biturbo side-badge appear almost apologetic in sizing.

I am super-pleased that Mercedes has gone in the direction that they did with the "next" SLK AMG. By putting in a lower-output run of the line engine; only lightly massaging the appearance; and labeling it SLC 43, to slot it on par with the C class and highlight the relatively puny engine, they've managed to eliminate any envy/desire to upgrade that I may have had - which is something of a relief as a R172 SLK55 owner.

Although that probably wasn't their marketing intent. In fact I don't know who their target market is here. AMG buyers generally enjoy "bonkers", which this car isn't. Maybe they're pushing us to the point of either spending a few ducats more for a SL550 which has similar performace to the SLK55 or just conceding those upper-end roadster sales to Porsche and Jaguar. On a related note, the off-beat look of the E550 (or is it E400 now) convertible is growing on me. Maybe it's a side-effect of no longer being a 30-something.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
and am noticing those vertical silver perforated doo-dads for the first time.
Think they are black and the silver look is a trick of the lighting.

SD-13SLK55AMG said:
Not sold on the front-end. I prefer the blacked-out lower cross-support and business-like LED strip/fogs on the SLK55. I suspect if you're not a big fan of the original R172 then the re-treatment won't make a convert of you. On a random note, the biturbo side-badge appear almost apologetic in sizing.
It's certainly a lot fussier. I think the blacked out cross-support is colour sensitive. Ours is red and doesn't have it. White ones do. Similarly, on a white SLC 43 the front splitter is gloss black.

SD-13SLK55AMG said:
I am super-pleased that Mercedes has gone in the direction that they did with the "next" SLK AMG. By putting in a lower-output run of the line engine; only lightly massaging the appearance; and labeling it SLC 43, to slot it on par with the C class and highlight the relatively puny engine, they've managed to eliminate any envy/desire to upgrade that I may have had - which is something of a relief as a R172 SLK55 owner.

Although that probably wasn't their marketing intent. In fact I don't know who their target market is here. AMG buyers generally enjoy "bonkers", which this car isn't. Maybe they're pushing us to the point of either spending a few ducats more for a SL550 which has similar performace to the SLK55 or just conceding those upper-end roadster sales to Porsche and Jaguar. On a related note, the off-beat look of the E550 (or is it E400 now) convertible is growing on me. Maybe it's a side-effect of no longer being a 30-something.
And there, in a nutshell, is the problem. The SLK55 is so bonkers it just wasn't selling. The SLK/C was always going to be a niche vehicle, but compared to the heady days of the R170 when they were flying out the showrooms the SLK (and especially the petrol engined SLK) has been a sales disaster for Mercedes. It's very likely that, if it wasn't for the diesel version there would be no R173 in the pipeline. It would have gone the way of the R-class.

The SLC 43 isn't what the 55 was, and I think we all mourn that passing. the SLC 43 is a niche model surviving by being more cost-effective to produce from a common pool of parts.

One glimmer of hope. Everything I have read about the engine in the 43 says it's a REALLY good one. Maybe not a bonkers 5.5V8 but the next best thing they had that could fill in for it.

Enjoy your 55, we won't see it's like again.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
391 Posts
The back end really doesn't look as good without the diffuser. I would seriously miss a NA engine, but more than that, the sheer power of the V8. I wouldn't mind as much if it still had plenty of grunt, but it certainly won't with that engine, especially at higher speeds. I just hope the R173 will return to a proper AMG offering. If it isn't, who knows what my next car will be. Nothing matches the 55, such a crazy engine in a small sporty car with a hardtop. I guess I need to really enjoy my 55.

·
Registered 2013 SL63
556 Posts
This thread reminds me of the debate that was (is?) raging on the Porsche 911 forums with regard to the new turbo v the old naturally aspirated engine. All the traditionalists were convinced that it was the end of the world as they knew it - until they drove the new car. Suddenly it wasn't so bad after all, actually really rather good!
I do agree however that the loss of the one man, one engine aspect is a great shame but probably inevitable.
One possible benefit to the SLC going turbo is that its usually much easier for aftermarket tuners to wring more power and torque out of the engine, so we may well be able to reduce the deficit compared to the current V8 at a reasonable cost.
Russ

·
Banned
2013 SLK55 AMG
1,901 Posts
OK the guy is struggling with language but it's a bit amateur. Didn't know how to describe those horrid plastic side vents & banal comments about the wind deflectors which we have seen before & I gather are ineffective. Apparently owners must plan to have the steering wheel recovered at some time!
Oh Dear! Looks like I'm going to have to add "twerp" to my signature.....:grin:
I do quite like the idea of a bright red convertible......isn't it a trad softtop colour? I think Ferrari are quite keen.....
As for the diamanté grille, I haven't seen it in the flesh so don't know, tho I have read that it's based on the AMG-GT S. I've driven that car a few times and TBH the grille really didn't spoil my driving experience :biglaugh::burnout:
I'm keeping an open mind.

TonyS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.