Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting a road trip thread for those on this weekend's road trip from the UK to Affalterbach, to allow us to share updates and pictures. :D
@55russamg @DAVIETHESCAFF @Col @ZeroZero @gordonian @Phil1987uk

Tagging members on the trip to flag them to add their updates. My first update to follow later... :tu:

·
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A very warm and pleasant drive down to Ashford from home on Thursday afternoon - a few traffic holdups along the way, but a very relaxing journey with Jono (my son) doing the driving. :)

Jono loving the AMG!

Dartford crossing (looking forward to the tunnel on the way back)...

Checked-in at Ashford International, and ready to go (well, most of us - Phil got held up and joins us later)...

An 'interesting' coffee stop (ask Russ about the toilets!)...

An attempt at a familiar breakfast stop, but that was closed, so walked over to the Patisserie across the road for a Croque Marie instead:

A brief stop in the centre of Cambrai, where the AMGs attracted attention from a group of Polish college lads: :D

Jono even carded a local SLK/SLC that parked near to us:

One of the viewpoint stops (on the way down into Revin):

The motley crew...

and we were all ready for a cold beer by the time we arrived at our hotel in Belgium: :D

·
Registered 2014 SLK55 AMG
96 Posts
Excellent will follow the thread.
Got a trip to the Nurburgring planned with some mates in Sept so keen to see how you get on .
Enjoy

·
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The end of another fantastic day, which took us from Saint Hubert in Belgium, via the Mardasson Memorial at Bastogne, heading to Wasserbilling, to then follow the path of the beautiful river Mosel to Koblenz (crossing from one side of the river to the other many times)... all with the roof in the boot! :D

Our hotel for last night:

Now 6 SLKs, ready to hit the road for the day ( @Phil1987uk managed to catch up with us last night):

One of many refuelling stops (these AMGs can be a little thirsty)!

Note to others: fuel in Luxembourg is much cheaper than the fuel in France and Germany!

A stop at the American war Memorial at Bastogne:

where a Dutch SLK320 driver also joined us (yes @jbanks15 , we did hand over a card) :tu:

A few pics around the Memorial/Museum:

we even had our own 'special' bus in the car park too:

A quick rest stop in Wasserbillig:

with some light resfreshments...

and a healthy snack (Croque Dame) ;)

with at least one of our group ( @DAVIETHESCAFF ) taking the opportunity to just 'rest his eyes' for a moment...

The Bieregarten at our hotel for the night:

and just one last night cap (I think I might be asking Jono to drive the first leg in the morning) ;)

and finally (for today), @Col managed to find his 'knight in shining armour'... :D

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,860 Posts
WOW! A great trip. Arrived home at 1.30 this morning after the 685 mile drive from Reims. Needless to say, I slept well last night. :D

Will post some pics and vids once I get a chance (am busy getting ready to head off shore again tomorrow), but just wanted to say thanks to Russ, Dave, Col, Andy, Phil, Jono, Gordon, and Brian, for making this such a memorable trip. :smile:

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,514 Posts
This was an epic trip made all the better by the great people on it. Leaving Russ in Koblenz was very sad and disappointing to say the least but gives us an excuse (as if we need one!) to do another similar trip next year! Hoping Russ make a full recovery and is back home soon.

I'm straight back to work today and struggling to get back in the swing of things. Like Davie I will post some more photo's and video from the trip later once I've had the time. By the way my "knight in shining armor" wasn't very talkative and the wrong gender for me but my search continues! :laugh::wink:

·
1,724 Posts
Hi All

I can echo the great feelings about this trip , Great mix of people all the same but totally different . I have been downloading pictures & videos today to the PC , So I will post in near future . Its bummer being a man down for the last two days , But we know he (Russ) is in the best possible place at this time , So we the brave ones had to dig deep & carry on with the tour . The AMG Factory tour was just like a AMG factory tour should be fun with loads of information & a great car around ever corner:nerd: , No pictures allowed to be taken inside the factory ofc , But a high number of pictures taken outside :smile:

Cheers

Andy

·
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
As has already been said, this was an awesome (but very tiring) trip. Thanks to Russ for planning and organising it all, and I'm sorry you didn't get to see the whole trip through... as Col has said, we'll just have to do it all over again once Russ has recovered. Thanks to everyone else for the fabulous company and all the laughs we had.

I only managed to post updates and pics for the first 2 days while we were away, so here are some more, first of all from the Sunday.

Waking in Koblenz to news that our leader ( @55russamg ) had called for medical assistance during the night, only to find out that his 'indigestion' wasn't indigestion and he had been rushed into hospital for an operation. Some of us visited Russ during the Sunday morning as he was still in good spirits, and definitely still has his sense of humour:

This is where Russ' road trip ended, although his brother continued with us to the AMG factory, so that his car could still visit it's engine's birth place during AMG's 50th anniversary year. Russ is now up and about, but still in Koblenz, as he can't fly home just yet.

We abandoned the plans to visit the Porsche Museum near Stuttgart, but still pressed on towards the Mercedes Benz Museum. We took a brief refreshment stop somewhere South of Frankfurt, and the AMGs attracted quite a bit of local attention:

We finally arrived at the MB Museum in Stuttgart, just in time to be able to whizz around and see everything:

Here are just a very small selection from the photos that Jono and I took in the Museum...

This transport truck has a very interesting story behind it - who knows the story of it, and what engine does it have in it?

Only 2 of these cars were ever built (the Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR “Uhlenhaut Coupé”):

A few more gorgeous cars...

A couple of SLKs...

Some (more) race cars...

After the museum visit (really, really impressive and well-worth doing - the above pics are just a very small taster of what there is to see there), we for our hotel in Luwigsburg, where we put our cars to rest in a public car park!

More to follow for Monday in my next post...

·
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Awake bright and early on Monday morning, ready for our trip to the birthplace of our AMG engines!... Following the advice of the people who did their trip to the factory the previous week (thanks guys) we parked in the nearby supermarket car park and picked up pastries before heading over to the AMG showroom to start the tour.

There was some Italian AMG sales training scheduled for the day, and they had a fantastic array of cars lined up to take them to a number of different AMG locations during the day...

and one from inside the showroom...

Ready to enter the factory:

No photos during the tour - cameras and phones had to remain in our pockets throughout. However, we did get to see the current V8 productions lines, and hear about the technology and their expert staff. We were even lucky enough to meet one of only 3 engineers (globally) that builds the engines for Zonda and the GT3 race car (Michael). The 'regular' AMG engines take no more than half a day to build, but these special engines can take 2-3 days to be built.

Note: The flags they fly are chosen based on the visitors they have each day - the Union Flag was there specially for us (both outside factory - above - and the showroom, where we had a small photo opportunity for our cars too)...

One of my car outside the showroom:

and one of Phil's car near the flags:

I'll be sharing pics of the other cars directly with other members of the group, so I'm sure they'll share them here too if they'd like to.

Here's Davie revisiting that undertray problem, after managing to get some zip-ties from our AMG host...

Once our visit to the factory was over, we headed onwards to our overnight stop in Reims (via the scenic route, and avoiding tolls, through 4 countries - Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium and into France). The underground carpark seemed to be a little noisier than usual when we arrived! I'd left my GoPro at home, so I didn't get any footage of it. :D

After dinner, we headed off for a brief wander, before retiring for the night...

·
Long Time Member 2005 SLK350
3,712 Posts
This was an epic trip made all the better by the great people on it. Leaving Russ in Koblenz was very sad and disappointing to say the least but gives us an excuse (as if we need one!) to do another similar trip next year! Hoping Russ make a full recovery and is back home soon.

I'm straight back to work today and struggling to get back in the swing of things. Like Davie I will post some more photo's and video from the trip later once I've had the time. By the way my "knight in shining armor" wasn't very talkative and the wrong gender for me but my search continues! :laugh::wink:
Maybe you will meet

Brienne of tarth next time :grin:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,402 Posts
I know some of you guys will be in touch with Russ. Give him our best.

The thought of dirty tailpipes will have him racing to a full recovery, I'm sure :tu:

Great set of pics and good to see that the trip went well (other than the obvious).

Thanks for sharing.
Now off to check out the rules and regs around self employment. :D

·
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I know some of you guys will be in touch with Russ. Give him our best.

The thought of dirty tailpipes will have him racing to a full recovery, I'm sure :tu:

Great set of pics and good to see that the trip went well (other than the obvious).

Thanks for sharing.
Now off to check out the rules and regs around self employment. :D
Will do Myk... :tu:

Although dirty tailpipes will be the least of his problems - this is how his brother parked his SLK at the first refreshment stop on the Sunday! :surprise:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts