Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AMG for the SLK is dead as far as I'm concerned. Mass produced twin turbo v-6 that puts out only 360 HP:| Why not do what Ford did to the GT: 2018 Ford GT
ENGINE 3.5L/647-hp*/550-lb-ft* twin-turbo DOHC 24-valve V-6

Ya after looking at in person, I don't see anything AMG about the new SLC43. Just a mass produced hop up of the 350. Ford getting 647 HP out of their 3.5L V-6, and Mercedes only putting out 360 HP:| If you want true AMG performance in a convertible hardtop now, you have to step up to the SL's.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,615 Posts
Get a R171 55 :D :D :D

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,319 Posts
Why somethiing sooooo old ? :wink: Oh, right I looked at your profile :grin:

Why not a 2012? or 2013? or 2014? or 2015?

I ask the question in all seriousness 0:) (but in all honesty, I wonder why my tongue is pushing my cheek out an an unnatural angle :surprise: )

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
714 Posts
I've been lucky enough to drive my AMG 55 back to back with the new SLC 43...

In many ways I totally agree with your statements that the SLC has lost some of its heritage, soul and curb appeal.

Although having driven the car I do have to say that MB have achieve something quite special. As a drivers car its fun, entertaining, fast and does retain some of the soul that have always been in the SLK's. Just does not sound the same!

Is it a true AMG - no and that, in itself, is a disappointment. I'll keep my V8 and have the pleasure of knowing the engine was 'hand built' in the AMG factory :)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I been looking at them, I really like the body style and the 05-07 are between $15K-20. Unfortunately, I only have time for one car. I really like my 350 especially the interior and the options, just could do with a 100 extra HP or so. I have even thought about selling my 350 for an earlier model 55, but not worth losing all the new just to have V-8. What I am really hoping for is some new innovative products for the 172 to get me where I want to be power wise, but gonna be a while. Suks because I actually get excited when warranty time is up, warranty expired last year and my excitement was short lived as I could hardly find any power mods.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
And with the the SLC/SLK end in sight, there won't be coming any AMG two seater roadster anytime soon either (no, the GT is not what I call a roadster, that's a full bred sportscar)

A 'get them while you can' attidude towards the V8's isn't the weirdest thing you could do.

Hoping that there will be masses of engine upgrades for the R172 series is. The numbers sold are way to low. If you live in a country where petrol prices don't hurt, the R171-55 is the way to go. Get those 2010 models for the true enthusiasts instead of those that drive 'm for 2-3K a year! Do what Jeff did, put a K under the hood!

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,402 Posts
@rob, I hear ya!!! Here is a proud R172 350 owner who originally owned an R171 55 AMG... Do I regret driving a 350 today rather than my old 55? Not really... Don't get me wrong, my old 55 was a great car, in looks, sound and performance. I got serious looks and even more serious traffic infractions driving that beast... BUT, the R172 350 is sooooooooooo much better, IMHO. I get an awesome exhaust sound (not quite a V8 level, but good enough), more modern niceties, a prettier skin, and fancier interior. Could I use an extra 100Hp on top of my 302bhp? Probably.. but do I have any problem passing a car on the freeway? Nope...

I am a hp junky... My measly 210bhp in my Audi A4 turbo has been upgraded to APR Stage II with downpipe and ECU tuning software to get me to ~300bhp/340Ibft of torque... And that car moves... For my 350, speed isn't the be-all for me... I can live with the compromises rather than lusting for another 55 just cos of 413hp!!!

Finally, I love the SLC43. It is a very nice car with all the performance of a V8 in a biturbo-v6 outfit. Yes, it isn't a traditional AMG by definition, but it will serve its purpose for a more thrilling drive, better performance than any of its lower siblings... and make you smile each time you get on the road... MB can surely wring out more HP from that V6 turbo; note that MB engineers got 340hp from a 2L turbo in the CLA45 AMG, and they badged that car "AMG" even when it is a measly 2L turbo engine...

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
304 Posts
Ya I been looking at them, I really like the body style and the 05-07 are between $15K-20. Unfortunately, I only have time for one car. I really like my 350 especially the interior and the options, just could do with a 100 extra HP or so. I have even thought about selling my 350 for an earlier model 55, but not worth losing all the new just to have V-8. What I am really hoping for is some new innovative products for the 172 to get me where I want to be power wise, but gonna be a while. Suks because I actually get excited when warranty time is up, warranty expired last year and my excitement was short lived as I could hardly find any power mods.
So if all your after is an extra 100bhp why not buy a 43amg and re map it , you've only got around 300 now and there's already tuning boxes on the market for very little money that offer an extra 50bhp , that would give you more than you want , also , at the risk of sounding rude , have you actually driven a 43amg ? Alll it lacks is a name plate to polish on the engine of the guy that bolted it together , he didn't cast the block and mill the heads out , after a visit to the Porsche factory about ten years ago we stood and watched guys and girls hand building all of the engines , it's not really a big deal , supply me the parts and a set of torque values and I'll hand build you an engine >:D

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@rob, I hear ya!!! Here is a proud R172 350 owner who originally owned an R171 55 AMG... Do I regret driving a 350 today rather than my old 55? Not really... Don't get me wrong, my old 55 was a great car, in looks, sound and performance. I got serious looks and even more serious traffic infractions driving that beast... BUT, the R172 350 is sooooooooooo much better, IMHO. I get an awesome exhaust sound (not quite a V8 level, but good enough), more modern niceties, a prettier skin, and fancier interior. Could I use an extra 100Hp on top of my 302bhp? Probably.. but do I have any problem passing a car on the freeway? Nope...

I am a hp junky... My measly 210bhp in my Audi A4 turbo has been upgraded to APR Stage II with downpipe and ECU tuning software to get me to ~300bhp/340Ibft of torque... And that car moves... For my 350, speed isn't the be-all for me... I can live with the compromises rather than lusting for another 55 just cos of 413hp!!!

Finally, I love the SLC43. It is a very nice car with all the performance of a V8 in a biturbo-v6 outfit. Yes, it isn't a traditional AMG by definition, but it will serve its purpose for a more thrilling drive, better performance than any of its lower siblings... and make you smile each time you get on the road... MB can surely wring out more HP from that V6 turbo; note that MB engineers got 340hp from a 2L turbo in the CLA45 AMG, and they badged that car "AMG" even when it is a measly 2L turbo engine...
Right on, well said:tu: Ya I'm happy with the 350 too, especially after installing Piecha exhaust (deep v-8 sound) not poppy like most 6 cylinders. I don't really want to mod it up much more as it is very nice and balanced and still classy IMO. I will say if I ever have the extra cash though, like $15K, I will definitely be grabbing one of those 171 55's up real fast. I posted one that I saw on Cargurus a week or so ago https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=cargurusTM&formSourceTag=112&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c6114&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c22412&zip=36527&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true&sortType=PRICE&sortDirection=ASC#listing=163096212_isFeaturedand man it was nice! I would love to have one to keep as well as mod to my taste like ole Jethro Kleeman:grin:

OOOps , this posted twice but here is the car link though lol:nerd:

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,319 Posts
If you're not driving the car that you want to there's only one person to blame.
Gotta remember who's da boss: I know in my family unit, I'm only the X.O., not the captain :wink:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I wear the pants but apparently that doesn't classify me as the boss. I should be able to have two SLK's because I bought mine used and so far the wife has had 3 NEW vehicles since 2010. She just got new 2016 GLC last year, now she wants to build house:| Yes I am learning the way of long suffering in life so that it will be easier to let go of it all when the time comes0:) I really don't have the time or energy for two but I am torn because they both have their pros. Thats the way it is though, you get something you been wanting and then later you see something you wish you had. It has to stop somewhere, so I'll enjoy the 350 experience until the thrill is gone (If) then move on to another great adventure:grin:

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,402 Posts
You may wear the pants (@Rob) but you better believe it that she is the boss!!! Been married 26+ years (and counting) and know the way to get what I want is for her to first get what she wants.. So if your wife wants to build that house, that should be first priority then you will have carte blanche to pursue your adventure of a 55 purchase....

As for my 55 adventure, it left me on the side of the road one day with a broken serpentine belt. Another time, I was stranded and needed a tow was when it decided to fry the fuel pump electricals... The fuel pump line (not the fuel pump itself) was a $1200 repair bill. The serpentine belt was much cheaper at <$600, both at an MB dealership.... Each time, bcos they were late at night and out of town, I had to stay at an local hotel for the night before resuming my trip... Adventures of a 55 owner, I guess... Mine had like 80K miles on my '05 55, but I used it as my DD so that made repairs come fast and furious...

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You may wear the pants (@Rob) but you better believe it that she is the boss!!! Been married 26+ years (and counting) and know the way to get what I want is for her to first get what she wants.. So if your wife wants to build that house, that should be first priority then you will have carte blanche to pursue your adventure of a 55 purchase....

As for my 55 adventure, it left me on the side of the road one day with a broken serpentine belt. Another time, I was stranded and needed a tow was when it decided to fry the fuel pump electricals... The fuel pump line (not the fuel pump itself) was a $1200 repair bill. The serpentine belt was much cheaper at <$600, both at an MB dealership.... Each time, bcos they were late at night and out of town, I had to stay at an local hotel for the night before resuming my trip... Adventures of a 55 owner, I guess... Mine had like 80K miles on my '05 55, but I used it as my DD so that made repairs come fast and furious...

[/URL][/IMG]
Oh thats a nice one!:tu: Ya its a bad feeling being on the side of the road, it does seem that the 171's aren't quite as reliable as the 172's but the 172's are still young. I've been pretty lucky over the years, only had one car leave me on the side of the road and it was a 1980 VW Scirocco that had over 100K on it. Other than that, no break downs or flats so I'm just waiting on that streak to end with one of the worst possible brands for it to happen to (MB) who knows how to up charge for repair or parts.

P.S. I see you have good taste in color choice. I think its cool that you favor the same two color choices as me. Iridium Silver w/Bengal red and Diamond White w/Sierra Beige. I ended up with the silver and red because it was hottest deal going but was actually looking for Diamond and Beige, silver was second choice.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Sure, the AMG 43 isn't the whole magilla as far as an AMG is concerned. But it isn't supposed to be, either. It is supposed to be a lower level of performance and price, and entice those of us who grew up when gas was expensive (late '70s) and won't entertain more than six cylinders even if we could afford the purchase price of eight or twelve (and I can't so that's moot). If I had to replace my dear Sunhilde, an SLC43 would be on my list. Just wish it had a 7-speed stick like the Corvette Grand Sport or 911. There are probably a lot of people like me who want the handling prowess of an AMG-tuned chassis without the brutal expense and ownership costs of the big motors, and that's who the AMG 43 variants across the model range are aimed at.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,049 Posts

[/URL][/IMG]

Say that again $<600.00 dollars to do a serpentine belt ???
Are they not £40.00 -£60.00 part ??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.